Fluke treatment - Pour on or injection/oral

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

I just wanted to know peoples experiences and preferences on treating against fluke. Do you use pour on treatment or injection or oral?

I was keen to try the pour on mainly for ease but it also covers the worming too. However we had a very informative talk last year which made me think. It was said that an adult cow should have built up its own immunity to worms, and therefore doesn't require worming annually. It is important to treat youngstock, but they need to be exposed to worms initially to be able to build up their immunity. If I remember right the continued worming of cattle can create worms resistant to treatment. If I decide not to treat the adult cattle for worms then I presume the injection is the only method for fluke treatment alone?

This is just my recollection of what was said, and therefore please dont quote me in case of my error and in case I have misunderstood I would be pleased to hear more views on this.
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

nobody else has answered so i will have a go.

The injection covers fluke at more stages than any other treatment, I think. there is an oral drench i think fasinex for cattle.

we have used the injectable and the closamectin pouron. the pour on was great because it was easy to administer, i did it in the field.
my lot are totally wild and bringing them down to handle can be a bad job, just in the last 7 days weaning calves i have had 2 jump fneces injuring themselves and one in the slurry lagoon.
so doing them outside was a revelation.
the closamectin is so thick that even in the damp it stays on.
the injection is bright orange and stains you for days!!

worming for the youngstock for me is pour on a month after turn out and the same at housing or the autumn.

dom
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

The only reason to worm should be if they've got worms. We used to use a wormer once a year regardless, then we decided to test for worms instead. We took poo samples to our local VLA laboratory, our vet or a feed merchant who does it as well, and the net result is that we've never had worms and haven't used a wormer for 5 years. Mind you I need to do it again, so may have spoken too soon ???.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1269556712
Clive
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

When I first observed snails in our 'wetlands' I asked the abattoirs to follow up some steers, and they informed us that we do have a fluke problem.

In autumn we backline the weaners with a combined fluke/worm/lice pour-on, while the rest of the herd get an oral fluke drench and a pour-on lice treatment.

In spring they all get an oral fluke drench. Oral drenches are easier to apply if short piece of hose is attached to the end of the drench gun.

Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Ted Neal

Post by Ted Neal »

There is now available one Fluke/Wormer pour-on (and can I remember what it is called - "old-timers" kicking in).
I had to inject last year and also worm. Ask your usual merchant - he should be able to help.
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

closamectin or something similar
pudser

Post by pudser »

Traditionally we always believed that it was better to avoid combined fluke and wormers as if they got the early stages of fluke they failed to get the inhibited (DORMANT ) stages of the worms and vice verse.

The only pour on which I am aware of is closamectin (combination of ivomec and closantel) which should contradict my previous statement as does immature fluke and all worm stages.

Fasinex is the only flukicide to my knowledge that hits early immature but resistance can be a problem particularly where liver damage is present in sheep not so sure about cattle

We hear alot about rumen fluke this year and Zanil is the only treatment for this but i AM NOT SURE OF ITS SIGNIFICANCE.WET SUMMERS ARE BEING Blamed for its proliferation.

As regards worms all farms are different but sucklers farmed extensively don't have the same problems as bunch of bucket fed calves using the same pasture every year.Lots of money is wasted on wormers but one outbreak of hoose would pay for alot of dose!

Paddock management should be an important of any worm reduction plan.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Had the vet in yesterday to do a herd health plan which is a part of the health scheme that I have just joined. When I told him that I worm twice a year he told me that I am wasting my money and should only worm youngstock in their first year at grass. As cows get older they should gain a level of resistance to worms and with correct pasture management should not need worming. I am unsure about this (old habits) so will not worm but will keep an eye on things by having dung samples tested on a regular basis. Time will tell!!
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent