Bulls: hire or buy?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Where do you think the ‘cut-off’ point is - if there is such a thing - with regard to the number of cows/heifers in the herd, where purchasing a bull would be a better option than hiring one? (A.I. is not a realistic option). Clearly, a major factor would be the price of the bull, whether purchased or hired. Whilst I have done a little homework on prices, I would nevertheless be grateful for any thoughts, both on costings and on other considerations such as biosecurity, sourcing suitable bulls, etc.

I have adequate buildings and all five fields I own have stock-proof fencing (done professionally a month or so ago). There is no public access anywhere on the holding.

Many thanks
Ryan
Carmarthenshire
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Difficult decisions Ryan and there is probably no set formula to apply. I got a bull when I had only one but about to increase to two cows. I had no other Dexter owners close by to share a bull or hire one from, or to take a cow to to be served. But I found that calving intervals were extending rapidly using AI.
At the time I probably did not place as high a value on biosecurity as I do now. Biosecurity is very important for ever herd, but has to go by the pracitclities of life as well as ideals. I really try to keep my cattle totally separeate from other owners cattle, and only show on rare occasions. Hiring bulls or taking cows to other herds to be served, and buying in stock is fraught with dangers, though I have to say for the most part Dexter herds are probably less troubled by things like BVD than most larger farms. This is probably because the very small herds make it difficult for infections to go round and round in the herd - in small herds the virus or whatever is just eliminated when all animals have encounterd it. The larger the herd the more constant the supply of suscepible animals.

So if you are thinking of hiring a bull or sending your cows away to be served, try to use bulls which are in small herds with as little mixing as possible.

If you have space and fencing to cope with a bull go ahead, but do your homework and get one which fits with your breeding aims.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

If cost is an issue, you could consider buying the bull you want, using it for 2 years and then beefing it OTM. Doing it that way you can go for an older bull, 8-9-10+, especially if your herd is not big. An older bull would usually cost less I assume (not ever bought one) but still have the same beef value as a younger one which would usually mean you get your money back or thereabouts if you get the prices right. That's assuming you have an OTM abattoir near you somewhere and they will accept bulls. Need to check whether they require Farm Assurance certification or not. Or take it to market (never done that, have no idea of prices).

Prices are low at the moment but most bulls should fetch between £400 and £800 for pie meat if you get them in good beef condition which is very easy with a bull. I wouldn't buy a bull that's been around and if you're concerned you can have tests done like we do for Johnnes, IBR, BVD, Lepto and TB obviously.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1274947004
Clive
Martin

Post by Martin »

I don't keep Dexters anymore, I keep a local breed that makes my management easier. Anyway, I had the same dilema.
What I have done is a bull share agreament with another breeder, which can work if you pick the right person.
We are both in the Biobest scheme and have gold standard, we are free from BVD, Lepto, IBR and Johnes. I calve Jan/feb and he calves April/May I have the bull April, May and June he has the bull for the rest of the year, I pay him a maintenance fee for looking after the bull when he isn't working (his facilities for keeping a bull are better than mine). We will not hire him out or take cows in, our biosecurity is very important to us.
What this arrangement has allowed us to do is to buy a much better bull than would have been possible if we had 'gone it alone'. I would be surprised if the bull we have is not in the top 10% of the breed as his BLUP analysis and Signet record is testiment to.
We bought a young untried animal but had him semen tested and blood tested before he left his farm of birth, we had been following his progress for six months before we bought him. He is running with my nine cows now and will go to my friends 20 cows in July, he is not two until August so is being fed hard food to keep him growing while he works.
After we have used him for three years it will be time for him to go but the beef route will not be considered as he will only be five then and in his prime, we hope to realise what we paid for him at that time as he will have progeny on the ground which will help someone when they are considering purchasing him, beside that he cost a fair bit more than your average bull!
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Colin

Post by Colin »

3 years ago I had the same question. An experienced dexter breeder told me that if you have around 6 breeding females, you'd be better off with your own bull. I'm not sure there was a lot of science behind that. I bought my own bull when we had 4 breeding cows. Last year I needed to find a suitable bull for 2 of his daughters. It was a not easy trying to find a local breeder that would take the heifers and I was concerned about bio security. So this year I've bought a second bull who is running with 5 of his daughters.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest