Bloat

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We have one cow that seems to be prone to bloat, same problem last year, although this year I have noticed more than one have been a bit bigger on the left side than normal. We took this one out as she was enormous her belly was above her back on that side and she couldn’t bring her back leg forward as far on that side to walk, although she didn’t seem in any discomfort and was STILL eating – carefully choosing only clover! She didn’t go down for hours, despite a good run around to sort her from the others. So I assume it must have been frothy bloat, not gassy bloat. She is now in a field with hardly any clover as I really don’t want to risk the loss of a cow to bloat, must be a nasty way to go as well.

My father used to make a bloat drench using linseed oil and turpentine, I think there was another ingredient as well, anyone know what it was and the quantities? There seem to be a couple of drenches on the market – one is called Burp – do they work on frothy bloat I wonder?

I read somewhere that if your calves are given plenty of clover to eat they get used to it and are less likely to get bloat in later life - or maybe it weeds them out young!!! :;):

Anyone else getting a bloat problem?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We've got fields heavy in white clover and for the first year I had to keep taking them off as soon as I saw a cow with a bulging side. They would stay in a starvation paddock for 12-24 hours and then back into the field again. I didn't have any actual problems though. The only bloat case we've had was inside whilst on dry hay and it was extreme and I had to pierce her side to let the gas out.

A local dairy farmer told me they get used to white clover and that is what has happened here, all ages. I've watched ours graze and they go for the grass and get the clover by default, not seen any of mine selecting the clover. My sheep do the opposite and select mainly the clover. Nice combination.
Clive
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I've only had bloat when a cow inadvertently gorged on hen food. I made a washing soda drench, as per instructions in TV vet book. Not surprisingly, cow wasn't too keen on this so "drench" was a most appropriate term as it went everywhere, as well as down the cow! Next day, vet said I could have just used cheap vegetable oil. Might be more palatable.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I was preparing to give ours vegetable oil and was glad when she went down of her own accord - eventually. At least vegetable oil is better for skin and hair than washing soda Louisa!

I have spoken to our vet about bloat. It is his opinion that they will not, "grow out" of the condition, they will remain prone to it if they are susceptable. I asked if it was a hereditary thing and he said he thought it probably was but that a calf may inherit the problem from its mother or inherit a stronger digestive system from the father.

Oh well - we do have an awful lot of clover, I may have to consider a good whack of nitrogen next spring to give it a bit of a knock back and hopefully more grass and less clover.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Martin

Post by Martin »

I have a cow that looks like she's expecting quads even though she has a 4 month calf at foot. I asked the breeder about her and she just said 'just like her mother'.
Although she is huge and has been for the last couple of weeks I have given her no treatment. She blows up whilst grazing and reduces when she cuds. When she is big her belly is as tight as a drum. I keep an eye on her and I was worried when I first saw her like it but talking to the vet he assures me that some cows are just like that and if I get too concerned I should just put her on a halter and walk her around a bit until she reduced in size. It does not seem to concern the cow at all, when we go to the field she is the one that is bullying everyone else to get to the front for their regular brushing session which happens every evening.
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We put nitrogen on every year (50-75kg per acre) in the spring to get the grass to outgrow the clover, otherwise you wouldn't see much grass here! That should become unnecessary after a few more years, hopefully! I keep breeding stock off clover-rich fields as well if possible.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1272311889
Clive
Martin

Post by Martin »

The cow I have that I mentioned above started to get uncomfortable and was not eating as the rest of the herd. She began to lose condition and I had to puncture her to release the gas, anyway she did not seem to improve as within a couple of days she was exactly the same. I had a bottle of Burp that I had ordered for such an emergency, drenched her last night and this morning she was still huge and uncomfortable, thought I had wasted my £14 for the Burp and a vet visit may be on the cards BUT, this evening she has shrunk to a more regular size is cudding a lot better and is far happier. I will be ordering another couple of bottles just in case (two year shelf life).
Martin.
Maidstone
Kent
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I spoke to the vet today about something else and she said we - as in the vets - used to mix up linseed oil and turpentine.

That is what my dad did for bloat, Chris says turps is hard to come by now but they sell it in half litre or two and a half litres at www. decoratingdirect.co.uk

The vet says it is the same as goes in the bloat drenches, can't decide whether to buy a bloat drench or tirps and linseed oil - the latter does have another use if we don't need it for a drench! :;):

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I was advised today that a drench of either vegetable oil or linseed oil is good for bloat, at a dose of 250 to 500ml, so I would guess 250 for a Dexter. Or 150 to 200 of bicarbonate of soda in some water. However give one or the other - not both.

Once drenched, give the cows belly a good slosh around to help it get to the right place! :D

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Anna

Post by Anna »

I have read somewhere (American site?) that some give their cows bicarbonate free chioce in a little box. As with powdered minerals. Have anyone tried that? Is it a good idea, would they eat it if they needed it?
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Denise

Post by Denise »

Ive got a really good agnote from the Victorian Dept Ag site. will try and post the link here to it.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi....ows.pdf

Denise
Denise of DHA Dexters, Downunder
Denise

Post by Denise »

Oh and I meant to say there are - if you read it - bloat capsules that you drench into the stomach which works for up to 100 days. they give quite a few options. So if u have cows that have a predisposition to bloat, may be using the bolus would be a good idea.

Its like we sometimes use magnet bolus to "capture" any iron they might ingest ! i.e. fence wire etc.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Denise wrote:Its like we sometimes use magnet bolus to "capture" any iron they might ingest ! i.e. fence wire etc.

Denise - Does the bolus come out the other end with all the bits of wire attached? :D

Edited By Broomcroft on 1276154888
Clive
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Clive, nope it stays in the first stomach and is removed on death of animal - usually at the abbatoirs, can't think of the "name" for the "disease" but it does have one - maybe Marg Weir will remember for me!
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

Hi Denise,

'Hardware Disease' http://www.dexters4u.com/Articles/Rumen%20Magnets.htm
:)
Vicki