Grass-Fed Beef - by the Union of Concerned Scientists

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I thought these links might be of interest to those like me that are into the benefits of grass-fed beef...

Grass-Fed Video

Smart Pasture Operation

Edited By Broomcroft on 1232092935
Clive
Penny

Post by Penny »

Thank you Clive, very useful.
Where do you find the time to find, AND READ, all this info?! You really cannot sleep much!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I'm lambing Penny. Sleep, what's that!

Edited By Broomcroft on 1232094797
Clive
Colin

Post by Colin »

Hi Clive, this is very helpful and timely. I'm playing around with creating my own web page at the moment, and I will be creating a section on benefits of grass fed beef.

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

Broomcroft wrote:I'm lambing Penny. Sleep, what's that!
wot sheep clive? we,ve got texels,blue texels and heather has few jacobs lambing early march this time. :)
j.nuttall
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We had our first lamb on 3rd January, very cute, ours are Greyface Dartmoors so the lambs are sweet.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Jean - we've got an Xmas lot which are lambing now (50), then the main lot (200) late March, and blow me down, a tup must have gotten loose because the scanner has just told us we've also got a load in the middle as well. So we'll be lambing from Christmas till late April almost solid :( :( :(

Colin - Are you using a mac or PC? If you using a mac, unlikely probably, I've just found some fantastic software for doing sites fairly easily and quickly. And the sites will work on PC's as well which is my big problem. But it's only for macs. If you want to pinch anything I've done just go for it. I also do a website called www.grassfed.co.uk (and it's rubbish at the moment) but it has some links on it but I've never got round to doing anything else with it yet. It's not for Dexters, it's for grass-fed.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1232112309
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Sorry Jean, forgot, we've got pedigree Shropshire Sheep (they don't eat trees) and our main flock are Lleyns. We're also crossing Shropshire's on Lleyns this year. In tests, a good Shropshire on Lleyn will give as good as a Charolais on Lleyn. Never tried a Texel but might do.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We have tried a Greyface Dartmoor tup on a Texel ewe - the resulting lambs grew bigger more quickly than the pure Greyface, I think maybe because the Texel milks better.......but they all taste equally fantastic! She hasn't lambed yet this year - she is due next week.

Stephanie :D
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks Clive, if you don't mind me using some of those links you've found that'll be a great help. I have a PC and I'm using software from Virtual Mechanics called Sitespinner to build the web site which I find very good.

http://www.virtualmechanics.com/?app=spinner&ver=270f;

Not published anything yet as I'm only 50% through creating the content. I'll send you a link when its available.

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
ann

Post by ann »

Hi clive

have you got the computer hitch up in your lambing shed? :) :)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

No, but I've got a bed up there Ann, otherwise known as a big bale of straw. The sheep woke me up last night, they were eating my hay pillow. No manners these sheep. We had a little rush of lambs, and now nothing for nearly a week but they all look like they're just about to pop. Really annoying.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1232279943
Clive
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Just bringing up this old subject again for those interested in grass-fed beef.

I have added more links to www.grassfed.co.uk and smartened it up a bit.

The thing with grass-fed and where the Dexter comes in BIG-TIME, is genetics. I have added a link to a site which is dedicated to grass-fed genetics where they say out loud that when it comes to grass-fed, or naturally raised, healthy, sustainable beef, size does matter and "Less Is More". There are interesting details on the importance of carcass scoring etc etc.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1248715466
Clive
CarolineL

Post by CarolineL »

Great site Clive with lots of interesting and useful info - another one for the favourites list!

Thanks
Caroline
Ferryboat Dexters
Richard Knott & Caroline Littler
Thorganby
York
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Again, for anyone interested in grass-fed beef and how healthy it is and how good it is for the planet and the animals, there is a very well written article called "Cattle Carbon", written by Christopher Thomas-Everard, the chairman of the National Beef Association. Thanks to Beryl for pointing this one out.

A lot of people think that you just take a cow and let it eat grass. It's far more than that.

Here's a link (which may expire in time):
http://www.nationalbeefassociation.com/ ... ...sID=222

Edited By Broomcroft on 1248937432
Clive