Grinstead 1949 "Newsreel" - Historical photos and video

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
PorcPrunus NL

Re:

Post by PorcPrunus NL »

graham wiseman wrote:Nice film, lovely little animals. They are all very consistent in form , short and stocky. Both the bull and the cows appear very short in the leg . Does anyone know if this herd was Chondro free or not.
When I look to the 3 calves I see 2 non-short and 1 shorty.
In the herd I see some cows which seem non-shorts.
Nico & Annemiek,
the "PorcPrunus" Herd in Holland.
member of Holland Dexter ( www.Dexterkoe.nl )
JamsHundred

Re: Grinstead 1949

Post by JamsHundred »

It's been a while and the Grinstead video is making it's way among newer owners and members.
An owner from the Netherlands first brought my attention back to the herd again when he asked me a question about the Grinstead herd listings of 1949 and the copying of some information made me realize there were only three herd bulls being used by Lady Loder in 1949, and one of them "doesn't count" because she only registered two animals from him. Her main two sires were Sparr Nero and Oxley Tim. . . . .so one could go to the next step and assume the young bull in the film was either Nero or Tim. They would have been close in age. . . . . . depending on the time of year when the video was filmed. . .. ( am I correct in guessing it was the fall of the year - before the leaves fall?),
Oxley Tim was born Sept 5 1946, and if this was fall would have been 3 yo. Spar Nero was born 12/13/1945. . . and would have been 4 years old. Some of us who have been guessing think the bull was Sparr Nero.

I noticed a few years ago a breeder with the screen name NZDexter was seeking info on Sparr Nero, and then reported she found an Australian magazine with his photo. If this breeder is still participating on this board. . . . I would really like to get in touch.

Thanks.
Judy
JamsHundred

Post by JamsHundred »

I thought I posted to this thread moments ago. . . but it isn't here so I will repeat. Apologies if it turns up and is redundant.

Recently the Grinstead video has gained new life with those who had not previously seen it. A breeder from the Netherlands asked a question about the video and Lady Loder's herd and when I was copying information for him, I realized that in the year of the video, 1949. . . . Lady Loder had only three bulls listed for breeding. One of them, named Finn, was not so important. . . . she only registered two calves from him, was likely not fond of them and he disappeared. That left two herd bulls. Sparr Nero, and Onley Tim, so one of them most likely was the young bull on display in the video.

Some of us have been trying to guess which! The video seems to have been filmed in the fall of the year based on the leaves on the trees and the longer sleeves and sweaters some are wearing. Is that a good guess? I've never been to England. If it was fall of 1949, then Oxley Tim, born Sept 5, 1946 would have been 3 yo. Sparr Nero, born 12/13/1945 would have been nearing 4 yo. All who have guessed think the bull is Sparr Nero. Do you think we are right?

I noticed in the board archives a number of years ago there was a contributor using the screen anem NZ Dexter and in a post mentioned the discovery of an Australian magazine with photos of Sparr Nero. If that person is still reading the board. . . . would you get in touch with me? Use email. . . . . JamsHundred@aol.com I would like to see the photos of Sparr Nero and any information. I am always willing to share in return.

Thanks,
Judy
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

It looks like high summer to me.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham