Scurs on Bulls - % of horned offspring from a scurred Bul

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Inger

Post by Inger »

At last we have a Discussion Board again. I missed reading all the excellant information and discussions on the old one. This new Board is probably easier to use, although not being as computer literate as my children, I don't know how to access all its features. Its definitely nicer not getting the strange postings that use to turn up on the old Board. Thankyou for all your efforts in getting this New Board up and running.

I need the help of some experienced Dexter breeders. I have the option of leasing a Red Dexter Bull (G5, long legs) who has scurs. If I breed him to my horned (or rather de-horned) G1 and G2 Dexter cows, what percentage of his calves could be horned? They are from foundation Jersey stock. As I'm not fond of de-horning, I'm wondering if I should only use him on my polled Dexter cows.

Also, our polled Bull (Grade 7) last year sired a bull calf (from a horned cow), that grew horns . I was under the impression that the polling gene was dominant with all matings. Could it be that our Bull has only one gene for polling and sometimes the other gene is randomly selected, which was why we got the horned calf? If so, would this occur more commonly in bull calves rather than heifer calves?

The topic of scurring was probably covered on the OLd Discussion Board, but I can't remember the exact details. So I thought I'd ask again as there are bound to be other new breeders out there, who might be interested to know more about it as well.

Many thanks in advance,
Inger (from New Zealand).
Inger
NZ
Inger

Post by Inger »

I really need an answer to this question soon. Is there anyone out there who can help me?
Inger
NZ
Liz

Post by Liz »

Inger,

I understood that a polled animal may have one or both genes for polling. A mating of a polled animal with a horned animal (not carrying the polling gene) might result in a 25% chance of polled (with one gene for polling), 25% chance of horned (but still carrying the polling gene) and a 50% chance of horned not carrying the polling gene.

Sorry, I don't know much about scurs, but had understood that the gene for scurs was different from that for horns so that a polled bull with scurs may or may not carry the polling gene.

Hope this helps - but I am sure someone else out there knows more!

...Liz
Inger

Post by Inger »

I have since found out that Bulls with scurs have to be considered as heterozygous for polling, as studies have yet to find a bull with scurs who has two genes for polling. That being the case, the bull that I have borrowed has the same chance of throwing a horned calf, as our own bull, who, as it turns out, is also heterozygous for polling. Which is why we've had three calves born with horns in the last couple of years. I thought I'd post this information in case anyone else wanted to know about it in the future.
Inger
NZ
johnp

Post by johnp »

Hi

The following web-page has some comments on the genetics of scurs - http://skyway.usask.ca/~schmutz/polled.html.

John
Inger

Post by Inger »

Thankyou for that JohnP. I've had a look through the web-site and printed off a couple of pages for my files. I find genetics quite interesting.
Inger
NZ