Bull Hire

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
djaneyb

Post by djaneyb »

Hi, due to your help re the weaning and prices I wonder if you could advise or give me your thoughts to hiring out our bull. I've got a rough idea what the pros and cons could be but would like to know of others experiences.

Edited By djaneyb on 1286127454
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Well, number one is what he might bring back with him when he returns! There are a lot of diseases out there and if you have a healthy and possibly closed herd, I personally wouldn't do it. A lot of hassle, and risk, for no return.
Clive
davidw

Post by davidw »

I agree with Clive. I tried it with our guy, but the £90 vets fee for a pre movement TB test takes away any real chance of making money.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I'm in a 4 year TB testing zone, which makes a big difference. I could not have afforded to keep and buy in as many bulls as I have used over the years if most of them were not out on hire most of the time eating other people's grass. The stud fees make an essential contribution to the costs of either purchase & transport home or registration. I do ask for a sub towards transport to hirings, otherwise the stud fees would only cover the petrol for moving the boys to their next bookings.
I have had no disease problems in the 20+ years I have hired out bulls. One died accidentally when on hire but these things could happen at home.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

I suppose this is only really economical for larger breeders that regularly sell stock and therefore frequently have TB tests done for the animals they are selling and therefore there is no real additional cost.

I try to get the return test to coincide with my annual test, but where this is not possible I would be happy to pay for the vets visit in addition to the transport and service costs.

However, this is only a temporary position until I have a larger herd and more land at which point I would prefer to get ym own bull.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Both our bulls regularly go out on hire, it's a valuable contribution to the cost of their upkeep. It's also a handy service for people with only a few cows, as AI can be a nightmare. We're a 4yr TB zone but did have to pre-movement test recently due to someone cleverly buying in from a hotspot in a neighbouring parish, that did kill off the hire for a while but we're back on.