Bull nose ring

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Colin

Post by Colin »

I've recently bought a 13 month old bull which I intend to use for breeding and, hopefully, showing. What is the best age to put a ring in his nose. I'm in no hurry as he's quite laid back and friendly.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I bought a 2 year old recently and he was ringed just before we had him. There's an old saying that when you ring a bull, make sure you are not around as he will never forget, or forgive whoever was there :angry: .

Edited By Broomcroft on 1271889087
Clive
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

I had mine done just over 18 months old and it was the first time I had experienced it. I was surprised how it did not bother him, it was smoothly put in, he walked out of the crush and enjoyed a scratch after. Maybe he is waiting until I am in the middle of the field and will take chase!!!

Mark
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

My Mum said the neighbours would ring each others' bulls when she was younger. No-one would do their own because they believed the bull would be resentful. They would have been dairy bulls mostly.

That's a while ago now because she turned 97 yesterday, a bit short on wind, but fantastic memory. I love listening to her farming advice, and if she ever repeats herself she leaves a few years between doing so.

Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

I have just done a 2 year old, the vet did it and i hid round the corner while he worked. The bull sqeeled and the vet commented that they didn't usually do that. The bull has never reacted and is as docile as ever even when i scratch around his nose and flick his ring.
Just make sure you get the right size ring, i have seen some massive rings in dexter bulls, equally if you do it young don't forget they will still grow so don't go too small.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Colin

Post by Colin »

What size nose ring do I need for a Dexter bull ?

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I think the main thing is to put in a ring which if anything is slightly too small for the size of the bull. Nothing looks worse than a wee bull with a 3.5" ring.

I usually ring bulls I am registering at about a year, maybe a bit older, and put in a 2" ring. You might want a 2.5" I prefer stainless steel to copper, and it does not wear the way copper does if they are persistently feeding out of troughs or off the floor.

Modern rings are "self piercing" with a very sharp point which fits into the other end and fixes with a screw. The place to put it is just inside the nose, not way up where there is thick strong cartilidge. You can feel the softest place first with your fingers. Make sure you have the head in a crush or on a halter and fairly secure. In old fashioned byres I usually tie the halter down across the stall onto the traveller on the opposite side, this prevents him raising his head and making it difficult. Always check that the two sides of the ring fit into one another and try the screw. Keep the screw accessible and when the ring is closed put it in - easier if you have the presence of mind to put the ring in so the screw fits from the top. Always have pliers ready to tighten the screw till the little cross piece severs, which should leave the screw head flush with the surface of the ring. On no account try to use the ring until the nose has healed, if you like make sure it is moving in the nose each day but the bull tends to do that himself.

Always remember the ring is not for forcing the bull along, train him to respond to gentle tension on the ring, with the main strain being on the halter.

I can't say I have had any worries over the bull knowing that I put the ring in - just get on with it in a business like fashion. If you are in doubt get your vet or somenone experienced to show you with the first one.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Colin

Post by Colin »

Thanks for the reply Duncan that's really helpful. I'm definitely going to get the vet to show me how to do this.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Colin

Post by Colin »

Had the vet fit a 2.25 inch nose ring to my new bull just before Christmas. Went without a hitch and he didn't even flinch. Thought the copper one would be a nice fashion accessory :D

Regards,

Colin

Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
PorcPrunus NL

Re: Bull nose ring

Post by PorcPrunus NL »

Is a nosering required for showing in UK?
and in what ageclass?
Nico & Annemiek,
the "PorcPrunus" Herd in Holland.
member of Holland Dexter ( www.Dexterkoe.nl )
LISA

Post by LISA »

I believe the Law is any Bull over 12 months of age should have a nose ring (wheather a show bull or not), not sure about the rest of Europe - maybe we will/or will not, know more about European law very soon!!!
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It's a rural myth, there is no law saying a bull must have a nose ring in the UK.
PorcPrunus NL

Post by PorcPrunus NL »

Meantime I heard DCS requires a ring at 10 months and a second handler at shows.
Each show can have their own rules.

There is nothing about noserings in Eurepean law as I know, and (I think) if there is, nose rings are forbidden!
Nico & Annemiek,
the "PorcPrunus" Herd in Holland.
member of Holland Dexter ( www.Dexterkoe.nl )
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Neither of my bulls made any fuss when they were ringed. My rule of thumb is put a ring in but don't use it....keep it there and remember it IS there for an emergency! Then if when he is older he has a change of behaviour as I've heard some do at around the age of four or five it is there when it is needed. So far they haven't been needed one bull is nine, the other is coming up to two, one was ringed at six months, the other at ten months. The only draw back I have had is when I noticed the old bull stood in the same place for a long time...he had attached himself to the feeder..... :?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
moomin

Post by moomin »

Bulls do not have to have a nose ring by law. Shows usually require bulls to be ringed for safety reasons.
My vet uses lignocaine gel, such as Xylocaine available over the counter but don't say for an animal, on the bulls nose before he rings them. It anaethetises very quickly on mucous membranes. He always uses a bull punch to punch a hole. neither he or I would use a self-piercing ring to make the hole. I have never had a problem.
I feed hay on the floor at first as they may have difficulty feeding out of a rack until they learn to flip their ring back.
As Saffy says a bulls ring is an emergency stop, if used roughly the bulls nose will become hardened to it and it will no longer work.
Another use for lignocaine gel is if you have to remove an extra teat on a calf. It takes about half an hour to work on skin so you need to put it on and leave to cook for about half an hour.
I don't see any reason to cause an animal uneccessary pain when we have these tools to hand.