Weather

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Calf born today on the hill, worried to death about her. its -7 here but -4 on the hill which i find strange. cloud cover has come over and raised the temp a little.

it was a suprise and we are so busy with the butchery that the cows arent getting the attention they deserve thats why i missed it, but she seems full and content.

are calves alright in this crazy weather.

dom
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Dom,

amazing what they can cope with, as long as they get a good feed in and manage to get dry. As long as you don't have deep drifting snow. I should think your fields will be catching any wind that is going these days - are you managing to keep the butchery plumbing unfrozen?

Bute escaped snow when the rest of Scotland was at a standstill but got a bit on Saturday and again on Sunday, half the herd missing when I went to feed this morning and had to be led back from neighbouring field. Nearby Argyll suffering a bit more than we are here, top ends of sea lochs freezing and wonderful scenes of iced shorelines and trees - I wish I could take photos like Tim's of the tree!!

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

She is dry and full to brimming with milk, calm and still here. 2" of snow.
we have got away very lightly so far.
have to keep the water running or we freeze during the day, never mind the night.
all my stubble turnips ahve frozen solid and cows unable to graze them, we have just found 200 round bales locally to replace the turnips, expensive!!

dom
Denise

Post by Denise »

Wee the uk most certainly has a white Christmas - with a vengance this year!

We didnt get snow, just icy cold winds, high humidity and rain, running from hail storms to showers!!!

Tim loveed that piccie of the tree - just stunning!

Hope everyone and their animals have a helathy and happy Christmas !
Denise of DHA Dexters, Downunder
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Well I managed to get out of the country via Gatwick, thank goodness I didn't book via Heathrow!
I'm now back to 3 feet of snow here, but we are used to it, not like the UK, it's crazy over there.

Carol K
ann

Post by ann »

We have had snow now since the 21st Nov and for 90% of the time all my water outside has been frozen so its been hose pipes each day, but at least we have had some beautiful days and yesterday I managed to get some photo's of the end of the eclipse so I thought I would share this one with you all.Image
springwater

Post by springwater »

Lovely pic, Ann

CJ
Denise

Post by Denise »

that IS pretty - thanks for sharing!
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

A thaw at last after ten days of sub zero temperatures.

Could not come too soon, it was becoming a real bind and taking me 4 hours a day rather than 45 minutes to sort out the water and feed.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Inger

Post by Inger »

I can't imagine coping with snow. We never get it here in the Northern part of NZ, but the Southern part of NZ got hit with a real dumping in late Spring this year and the farmers down that way lost a lot of their lambs. The worst snowfall for that area in a very many number of years.

Hope the water pipes in Ireland get sorted soon. Managing without water for so long, has got to be a big trial for mothers with young children. Its turning out to be a Witner to remember for you all, isn't it?

Then there are the massively wide spread floods in NSW, Australia. They're evacuating whole cities over there. If its not the drought, its fire and then they get hit with floods and locusts. I keep wondering how they can call it the lucky country?
Inger
NZ
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi inger - I'm beginning to wonder the same thing - with our govts trying to drive us to 3rd world status, our country living the Dorothea Mckellar poem "a land of drought and flooding rains" !
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

I think worldwide over the last years it's been unbelievable with earth quakes, floods, drought, tsunami, fires and snow.

Every single country seems to have had some sort of terrible environmental disaster, so while we have had some doozies here in the land of Aus, I still believe we're a very lucky country. That's today I think that, while feeling dry and cool, it may change next week if the rain starts again. ???
:)
Vicki