Weather

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

It is now snowing heavily here in South Wales between Abergavenny and Monmouth, only the last few minutes though but I am glad we have sorted everything to get the Dexters in this afternoon.

How is everyone else managing? What are the conditions like up north?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

the sun is shining from a clear blue skye here on the Isle of Bute.

For how much longer I know not.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Joey Baker Cresswell

Post by Joey Baker Cresswell »

Over a foot of snow here in Northumberland - couldn't get to work which was just as well as had lots of Dexter feeding to do!
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Ooo, did you take any photographs? Or were you too busy/tired from trudging through snow with bales?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
ann

Post by ann »

lots of snow in north Yorkshire and still more to come it seems, all the cattle are tucked up inside, and the dogs love it. Its a bit early for me, looks lovely when the sun shines but it gets in every where when its snowing and we are using far more bedding to keep everyone clean.

lots more to come, so i suppose we will just have to get use to it.

:) :)
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

All but five of ours have been in a few weeks now. From this mornings forecast that things arent going to improve for a couple of weeks we are bringing the five home today.

Only had a couple of inches of snow, but its not going anywhere.

They have shelter where they are but as we are having to visit twice a day to give them hay, and de-ice the water tank we may as well bring them home, so that we have relatively easy 24hour access to them.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Has anyone got any snowy dexter pics? Also is anyone snowed in or completely snow free? It is always interesting to know what is going on around the country. I hope nobody is finding it too difficult to cart food and water.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

About 4" here in Shropshire, everything frozen up. Have to take water to all cattle, inside and out, but sheep don't need any I'm glad to say.

Had to bring 150 lambs inside to fatten as they were getting nowhere quickly out in the cold even though I started to feed them oats/barley to stop them losing condition.

If this continues, forage may become a problem. I'm glad I just sold 20 head of cattle!!!

Edited By Broomcroft on 1292699740
Clive
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

We've had 5-6 inches here in Bromsgrove, took me over an hour each way to go to do what is normally a 10 minute journey. With the M5 shut most of the traffic was diverted on to the A38 and then got stuck on the slightest incline. So with two fields 4 miles apart to check/feed it took most of the day.

Photo 1
Photo 2

When I arrived they were all looking longingly at the stack of hay in the background of Photo 1. Took this in the morning, but it continued snowing all day.

More worried about getting there today as I'm sure it will all be sheet ice on the roads today.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Nice to see some photos Ben, they are looking well.
I had to smile when I looked at Tuesday 21st in my diary and it says - winter starts - what then I wonder?! ???

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

About 6-8" of snow here in North Devon and pretty cold - was -14 last night at Ash Mill just down the road from us. Have been fighting a losing battle with the ice in the troughs and am using progressively larger hammers to break it up. Am now into a log maul with a sledge as the next stop. After that it will be the butt end of the post bopper!! After that it will be filling a 40gall drum in the back of the quad trailer with warm water from the boot room to keep it from freezing for as long as possible. Never mind - means I can legitimately take in more calories at Christmas! :laugh:

Anyway cows seem to be happy enough munching their way through slices of haylage. Perhaps the cold mught help to freeze off some of the warts!

and you do get to see some stunning sights if you get out early enough.

Hope everyone has a good a Christmas as possible and all the stock stays as well as it can.
Tim
Steve

Post by Steve »

We've had 16 inches here on the Cotswolds & very pretty it is too! Thankfully all the cattle are housed , but............they are 5 miles away! The journey was interesting yesterday, due to the main road being shut due to a jack-knifed tanker. Everyone with snow ploughs has been doing a fantastic job & today all roads we use are clear. The drinker bowls have been freezing in the cattle shed, which doesn't usually happen, but when its minus 11 degrees, I guess you have to expect it!!
No snowy cow pictures but here's our poor little Nemo van...........needless to say we used the Discovery today!

Steve
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

We have snow here today also, supposed to be our summertime. !!
The contractors made 54 round bales but the rest of our hay is still on the ground, thoroughly drenched.
We aren't as hardly done by as some. Vast tracts of Australia are flooded.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Minnie

Post by Minnie »

Tim I just love your photo of the tree, it's beautiful. Such a pity snow is wet and cold, otherwise it is very beautiful.

Gee whiz Margaret, SNOW... and I'm complaining about the constant rain, although today the sun is shining but it's windy.

Looks as though most of Australia is to have a wet Christmas. Very sad for all the young backpackers at Bondi and Byron, not the best places to be in rain. :laugh:

Stay warm people and cows.

Vicki
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

More snow overnight and a blizzard this morning. Think we might bring them in this morning?
Tim