Plastic Recycling

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Can anybody recommend a cost effective way to dispose of haylage wrap?

If I use all my haylage I will have approximately 60 wrappers from mini hestons. Small quantities I have stuck in my bin at home, but I am now using too many to do this and would prefer it to be recycled.

I have looked at Solway Recycling (£100 approx) and Farm Plastics Recycled (£50 for less than half a tonne).
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Bridgehouse

Post by Bridgehouse »

Our initial arrangement was through the normal bin collection office. They supplied us with a green 'farm waste' wheelie bin. The same size as a household wheelie bin. I am not sure of cost at present but three years ago I think it was about £6/month for a once a month collection. They then transferred the service over to be run by SITA and I am not aware if the cost has changed. They also do larger size bins. We could choose the collection frequency that suited us.

This may not be suitable if you are looking for a recycling option but it was the most effective way for us at the time to dispose of our waste. It suits us too because it keeps our waste moving rather than storing it.

Just one option to think about.
Mark
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Came across this company (saw one of their bags in a Countrywide Store's yard) http://www.farmxs.info/index.html.

Seems quite reasonable, purchase a bulk bag at £6 each and can deliver for free or pay for collection.

Anyone tried them?

Edited By bjreroberts on 1294149472
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Thanks for reminding me that I must make some arrangements too this year. Most of our farms here use Solway. The link you give has a map to help us find the nearest collection point, a bit deficient north of the border I am afraid. I'm off to explore Solway recycling, probably not the cheapest but may be my only option.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
jeanthomas

Post by jeanthomas »

I suffer from this problem. I buy mini haylage bales, they are expensive but easy to handle and Thorogoods deliver and unload them for me. I looked into a local recycling company that left you large plastic bags to pack them in and then if you took them to their depot they charged you £5.00 per bag. However, I have resorted to taking them regularly to our free local recycling plastic waste centre which is 14 miles away. The man who runs it has often quizzed me as to whether I am commercial or not. I just tell him I have a couple of pet donkeys - never mention cows!!

jean
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Might be worth asking a farmer near you because if it's anything like around here, you may have something very local going on. There is a farm here that receives and sorts the plastic. I think it cost us about £150 last year, that was for about 600-700 wraps plus feed bags and bale twine.
Clive
springwater

Post by springwater »

Interesting thread :) I think I'll give farmxs a call tomorrow, there's a collection point fairly near here so it could be feasible. Thanks for the link, Ben.
springwater

Post by springwater »

Well I just called FarmXS to find out a bit more. There is an annual charge based on your acreage (ours would be £120 + VAT for 72 acres) and then you can take your plastic to your nearest site and no more charges, however often you go. You can buy the one tonne dumpy bags for £6 but can use your own bags.

They are sending me some more info. I'll do a bit more research into other options and then decide.

Any more suggestions?
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I like the sound of that arrangement but the nearest to us seems to be Worcs which is way too far.
Clive
davidw

Post by davidw »

This subject has been discussed recently on the farming forum website. One alternative idea came up.
Collect all your plastic wrap together. Stuff it into a livestock trailer and deliver it to the local waste depot. Declare it as trade waste and pay £25 per ton to drop it off. Its a whole lot cheaper to do that than to pay companies like Solway waste £120 subscription plus their collection charge.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Steve

Post by Steve »

We have used Birch Farm Plastics, based in Wales, for several years because we wanted to be sure that the plastic was ACTUALLY recycled. They provide a very good service & will give you a call if they are in your area. There was an initial 'joining fee' and then you pay per tonne collected, & they provide the necessary paperwork for SFP cross compliance regulations. They also take any other waste such as string, plastic containers, bags, etc.

For further info it's worth a visit to their web site @ www.birchfarmplastics.co.uk

Steve