TB Testing

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

ditto here Stephanie, all clear last week. I really thought it would be our turn this year and I was resigned to it. TB has swept up from the south and west, now past us and on it's way to Yorkshire eventually.

As we're now early spring calving, had any cows been reactors, they may have been slaughtered at 7-8 months pregnant, so I'm particularly glad for the clear result.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1292609032
Clive
Denise

Post by Denise »

Steph, Clive, that is great news for both of you! Merry Christmas!!!!
Denise of DHA Dexters, Downunder
Anna

Post by Anna »

Whew. Seems very nerv wrecking to live with that threat. I am very happy for both of you!
Anna Bergstrom
Sweden
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We have just been chatting to our neighbour who is having his TB test soon.
He is just as unimpressed with the system here as we are but tells us about the one in The South of Ireland where his son lives - I know that there members from the area that come on this site - so maybe when you read this you could verify if this is true? He says that when they test the cattle on a farm they also test the badgers on the farm as well and kill the whole sett if one badger has TB but if there is another sett and the badgers are clear they are left - sounds sensible. Better than our system perhaps?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Steph - now that does sound "sensible".

I still think you need to be fighting this govt stupidity with a bit of fire - as my earlier suggestions. its amazing what emotions"suffering wild" animals engender in the batty brests of the city folk!
Denise of DHA Dexters, Downunder
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Hows this for a pickle, our holding is in a 24 mth testing time scale, some of our cattle are kept on a 48 mth holding and another two on a 24 mth testing holding four miles away. Does this mean I have to have the two steers on the 24 mth holding tested before moving down the road to be with the other cows?

Natasha
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Natasha - I had a similar situation up until last year and if all the animals are under one holding number, linked holdings or sole occupancy authority then they should be tested under the tighter of the two regimes. However, no doubt this is subject to individual Animal Health Officer's understanding!

All our under 12 months now as the prevalence of the disease spreads through Worcestershire. I've just got back from doing the first part of my annual test, a bit depressing when even the vet thinks it is inevitable I will get a reactor at some point in the next couple of years.

Fingers crossed for Friday when I've also got Animal Health doing an inspection.

Edited By bjreroberts on 1294758275
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Good Luck with your test, fingers crossed that at least this time it will be good news. Our 48mth test is due in the next couple of weeks so at least all the cattle will be tested at once and then I can move the ones from the 24 onto 48 and avoid confusion! Hopefully.

Natasha
Colin

Re: TB Testing

Post by Colin »

Had some great news this week and we've tested clear for this year for the whole herd. What a relief after last year's traumatic experience.

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Great news Colin! :)

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
LarryMag

Post by LarryMag »

Saffy wrote:We have just been chatting to our neighbour who is having his TB test soon.
He is just as unimpressed with the system here as we are but tells us about the one in The South of Ireland where his son lives - I know that there members from the area that come on this site - so maybe when you read this you could verify if this is true? He says that when they test the cattle on a farm they also test the badgers on the farm as well and kill the whole sett if one badger has TB but if there is another sett and the badgers are clear they are left - sounds sensible. Better than our system perhaps
Hi Stepanie and eveyone
I have been away for a while so I was doing some catching up on the board. I am seeing the Vet tomorrow morning so I will enquire if testing of the Badger set is done. I have to say I have not heard of it, but then as a newbe to the game that would be no surprise.

Glad to hear all the good news on passing tests, it all ahead of us.
Regards

Larry
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

We are so fortunate here in the US. It makes me appreciate how easy it is to move animals around, take them to the butcher etc etc.
I read some of the posts here and just shudder at what you have to go through in th UK.
of course if anything happens over here with any sort of outbreak, I'm sure it will be the same for us.

Carol K
LarryMag

Post by LarryMag »

Good Morning All

I spoke to the Vet this mornig and yes when a reactor is found in a herd and there is a known Badger set on the land, the Department of Agriculture will capture the Badges for TB testing. If found positive the set is destroyed and if found negitive it is left untouched, but monitored ( don't ask me how they monitor).

Maybe a system for adoption else where.

Larry
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Larry

Thanks for checking that out, I did wonder if it was true or not but it sounds SUCH a good idea, it would be great if something on those lines could be done here as well. It seems a far better system of approach.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny