ringworm

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Liz D

Post by Liz D »

Hi guys; Are you sure that we are all talking about ringworm? Or is every fungal skin irritation being called 'ringworm'? Had a swing vet out last year at this time who told me that the problem with a couple of my cows was a fungal irritation, similar to 'rain rot' in horses and anti-dandruff shampoo would do the trick. That didn't interest me at -23 and I am sure that my cows would have been even less interested in a bath at this time of year. It just cleared up in spring. Today my regular vet was out to preg check one of my cows, who has been scratching herself silly and has a couple of bald spots and because of this thread, I asked him to take a look at it and tell me if it was ringworm. He said that it didn't look like it at all and that I could treat them for lice, if they were going crazy, or just let it be. Again it is about -23 and I am less than eager about trying to chase them around the field in 60cm of snow to get them in the barn to treat. They are outside and not in the barn except for milking or vet work. I am not sure what a vet's farm visit costs in all of your neck of the woods, but here it is cheaper and safer than most of the chemical solutions. By the way, please do not use old engine oil or creosote on your cows, it is just as carcinogenic for them as us. Liz (Cdn)
Oakwell,

Post by Oakwell, »

Hi
I am as confused as ever, with all the diffrent ideas that everybody has, today I was told by another old timmer try Viniger lad, it's acid and fungus just carn't hack it. Well if I keep going at this rate my girls won't know wether there old engines, or fish and chips. only joking I am hoping for the sun to come out the grass to grow and send the girls out to where they like best. :p
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

The great thing about this site is you are getting all spectrums of opinion, from one extreme to the other.

Clearly many do nothing and it goes away. This is true for those individual animals, but the spores build up in premises and you will have trouble with future youngstock. Once they have had it they are generally immune for life, but think of the next generation. Also think of the humans who may get it from contact with the cattle or the contaminated pens.

You can use Homeopathic remedies - but no homeopathic medicine, animal or human, for any disease, has EVER produced proper clinical trials to show efficacy - remember option one, it will eventually go away anyway.

You can have them charmed - remember that it will go away anyway.

You can consult your vet, get a properly licenced medicine which will limit the spread of spores and with disinfection will keep your premises free in future

Or you can use old engine oil.

I know which I do. But them I am a vet.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Oakwell,

Post by Oakwell, »

Duncan
the thing that I can't understand about this outbreak is that the barn that the animals are housed is a new building with no other timber in it's construction other than telegraph poles. the cows were fine before they went into the building in your opinion where would you say the likely problem stems from.What is the best treatment of the building once they have been turned out?, would it br possible to pick the ringworm up off poor straw as I used one large bale that wasn't up to scratch with quite a bit of dust in it. and had been wet in the past.

Nigel
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

They would need to have got it from other animals with ringworm either directly or indirectly ie contact one animal to another or from fences, pens, posts etc. which have been conatminated.

One other post asked if we were sure if this really was ringworm - how sure are you? usually the patches of ringworm are almost circular, the crusty grey stuff really is grey and is raised a little compared to the surrounding skin. No normal pink skin without hair would be visible. If any of this description does not fit, maybe the diagnosis is wrong, and you should be getting your vet rather than the well intentioned neighbour to have a look. Even a photo of real ringworm should be obvious - can you post one for us all to see? Only if you want, not everyone would be willing to do so.

Duncan.
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Mine got it from contact across the fence from the cattle next door.

I am going to have trouble getting rid of it as they have been going out by day rubbing on trees and fences before I realised they had it!

My parents were farmers and when I was a babe in arms, 6 months old so I am told, I got a ringworm on the back of my neck, probably transferred from one parents hands. So yes it is easy to pass it on, even to someone else!!!

Now - will I be immune?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
ann

Post by ann »

Hi Duncan

Even you vets don't agree, mine says let it run its course and he's both into cows and horses. the strange thing about ringworm IMHO is that I had a real run of it 2yrs ago and no animals got it last year. this year the calves got it out in the field, no trees or fences as they are fenced in with electric fences and even some of my brothers cattle who where fields away have come in from grazing conservation land with it.

One can only assume that it lays dormant for several years at a time.

:( :(
Oakwell,

Post by Oakwell, »

Hi
thanks for your post Duncan,yes the outbreak is definatly as discribed round circular patches around 1 to 2 inches in diameter with no hair at all in the centre greyish flakey skin . I have had the cattle since July last year with no problems at all. and as I stated the problem only started when I brought the cattle inside, to a brand new building. there has been no contact at all with any other cattle on the holding even across fences.

Of course I will post some pics but at the weekend, I think this is a great site, and first posted this thread because of the welfare of my animals and feel that I can draw on the knowledge of the members not only for myself but everbody who has the best intrests of not only Dexter but all animals at heart.
Nigel
redhill

Post by redhill »

We bought in 2 steers from Gloucester Market about 10 years ago, and along with them came ringworm. just a couple of patches on each, but as our girls had never been in contact with it ,everybody got bald patches,not very badly,just enough to prevent us from showing that year,for 3 years our calves came out in just a few patches( usually just after we had sent off our show entries). We tried homeopathy ..a solution put into the water trough,the little devils wouldnt drink it, they went 24hrs without drinking,and of course they won,all standing round as I bucketed out the "poisoned foul tasting"water,even though it tasted alright to me,and then gulping down the fresh stuff as it ran into the trough,with that defiant look that only a Dexter can give you, so we left well alone and after 3 years we had no more ringworm,and never have since,touch wood Sue
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

The ringworm on our bullcalf is right on the end of his ear, half on the back and half on the front. It looks whiter on this picture than it actually is, it is slightly greyer, he also has one coming on his face.

If I can get a clearer photograph I shall post another.

Stephanie

Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
LISA

Post by LISA »

Ringworm is something that we have come to WELCOME and not fear in our herd.We had never had a single case of it until one of our calves picked it up at a show.As our animals were mostly home bred they had had no exposure or immunity to it,within 3 weeks (despite veterinary treatment) the entire herd of about 80 were all affected.This was during a very hot July and August.We could not attend any more shows that year including the world congress which was very dissapointing.So now all our older cows seem to have immunity,i like all the calves born that year to get it.We plan to vaccinate any showstock that hasn't got it naturally to avoid similar future problems.P.S I also had it at this time and although it was VERY itchy caused me no problems.We have found that a strong athletes foot cream for humans was the most effective(caution around the animals eye area though)
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Taken with the morning sun behind him it almost looks as if the tip of his ear is missing but it is a ringworm.

However you can clearly see a small ringworm on his face. Luckily enough they aren't getting bigger and no more are appearing so we think it is already going which is marvelous. perhaps it is because we turn them out every day and it has been sunny lately.

Stephanie

Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Well it seems to be about the right time to return to the annual topic of ringworm.

My herd are outdoors all year and I have never had any until now. It started during the cold period over Christmas and at first I was worried one of them had got frostbite! It also appears to follow ranking of the animals in the herd, with nothing at all on the top 4-5 animals.

Is it possible for the fungal spores to have been dormant for several years, with the outbreak only ocurring due to them feeling a bit run down with the severe weather?
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Some of mine have lost quite a lot some condition in the really cold weather and most of those are inside. I've had to start feeding quite a few which I don't normally. I think they become susceptible to more of anything if run down. I always understood that ringworm stays around in buildings and fence posts etc.

Edited By Broomcroft on 1294247809
Clive
ann

Post by ann »

I definitely think there is a stress related factor to who catches it as I have two yards with cows who all calved together and non of them have got it, but the yard where there is a group of mixed ages, everyone has got it who didn't catch it a couple of years ago. Last year I didn't have anyone with it. fortunately they are all starting to clear up as some of them did look a sorry lot, but condition wise it hasn't affected anyone. the one plus for me this year is, I may not have made as much silage as usually but it is probably the best quality I have ever had. So that's a great plus. Not sure if I will get threw the winter without having to buy any in, lets hope for an early spring!
:( :(