Silage for Sale North Yorkshire area

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
ann

Post by ann »

Hi everyone, I don't know if this is of interest to anyone in the north but I just got notice from York Cattle mart of the following silage for sale.
The last lot that was auctioned at Thirsk made £58 a bale which is a sobering thought as one bale does not go far if you have many mouths to feed.
50 round bales of silage for sale.
All 1st cut x2010
Easingwold area
For more information please contact Edward Stephenson - 07801 685663

:( :(
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Wow! I use 6 a day, luckily we've got loads this year so glad we haven't got to buy any.
Clive
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Have also had an email from york mart, telling me that the silage they listed earlier has been sold, though I dont seem to have had one telling me it was even for sale.

We use half a 5ft mini hesston bale a day, will run out early march then switch to round bale hay.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

i thiink if you have to pay £58 per bale, then you have to start thinking of selling stock. Its amazing that anyone would pay that!

we have to buuy in every year and there is always a bargain if you ask around. 160 bales for £1500!! i couldnt make it for that! 2 years old though.

we use 2-3 per day. makes you weep seeing itgoo in one end and out the other :D

dom
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I had a panic buying in hay from Stirlingshire in 2009, it was into September before they got it cut, and cost rising every year. I have recently increased the herd size too so was very worried about the avialability and cost of winter feed for 2010. So I bought a tractor (Chinese, Foton, 28hp 4wd), mower, (Italian, 1.1m cut in line behind tractor), tedder, (Chinese), mini round baler, (Chinese), wrapper, (Chinese), trailer, all new under £15000. I estimated cost of hay to feed herd through winter at about £5000. I made 850 small bales (400 hay, 330 silage, 120 haylage), running costs including fuel, wrap, twine etc about £700. I will have quite a lot of bales left over as the cattle have mostly been on a very rough field which has had no grazing since early 2009, they have only had 2 small bales silage for the outwintered ones (22) and a bale a day of hay for the inside ones (two bulls, 1 calf and 1 heifer). Hopefully the equipment will pay for itself in quite a short number of years, especially as hay costs here have soared to over £200 per ton for large bales. So I think the investment in equipment will be worth while. All purchased from Danelander - google if you want to see their website, which incidentally does not include all the machinery they have available. The back up in the few crises which happened has been great, phone advice verging on 24/7, and any spares needed such as shear bolts, more twine etc sent very quickly. Steve is the man to speak to there, a great help.

The cattle can be seen eating in the snow on their Facebook page for "Burnside Dexter Cattle".

I will post some stuff on the hay and silage making on the Facebook page, easier to load than to this site since Photobucket seems to defeat me.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Duncan.

What size and weight are the round bales, and how do you handle them?

Assuming that if they are net wrapped they would stand a shower if not gathered in before it rained.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

There has been a small drop in prices around here, with the recent warm spell I think people with lots to spare have been wanting to off load it.

I've had to buy in some, got 4 large heston bales of haylage at £40 each.

Duncan - like Steve I'm interested to hear more about the mini baler. I would like to get one as I'm finding it harder to get reliable contractors and I have smaller areas of land I could get a crop of hay from, but cannot expect the contractors to do.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove