Linear Classification Open Day Stratford

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Linear Classification Open Day Stratford

Post by Mark Bowles »

The Midland group have decided to lead the way and put on a Linear Assesment day at Stratford upon Avon cattle market on Sunday 20th Novvember 2011. Start 10.30am finish 2.30pm
The day is open to any DCS member who wishes to bring along an animal or animals they wish to have classified. The market penning enviroment lends itself to Bull classification in particular with the availability of the markets cattle crush being used for the bulls. The cattle need not be halter trained so any animal can be put forward with confidence. Cattle passports and green pedigree certificates will be required on the day and the animals will need to be prebooked with Sue in the the office. Cost will be £6.00 +vat for a female and £15.00+vat for a bull (bulls must be over 2 years old ), their is no minimum charge so you can bring only one animal if you wish. At this very early stage there are at least 8 bulls entered so far.
Members are invited to attend just to watch the proceedings and hopefully grasp an understanding of linear assesment so please feel free to come along for the day.
Midland group members and local members will recieve application packs in the post over the next few days, anyone further afield needs to apply seperately.
For more information and an application form contact Sue Archer DCS secretary on 02476692300,further information about the day or about Linear Classification contact Mike Bancroft on 01926 842317 or Mark Bowles 01509 211864

PS. Linear Assesment now replaces the previous Elite Bull Scheme for bulls.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Re: Linear Classification Open Day Stratford

Post by Mark Bowles »

The closing date for entries is Weds 9th November. Paperwork needs to be in place beforhand with Holstein Uk through the DCS office. £7.20 for a female and £18.00 for a bull.
The day is open to visitors to come along and see what it's all about.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

what are the movement protocls
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Hi Monica, this will be a green movement. Just like a show, on/off same day and no TB test required. I hope you have something to bring along.
I have had my second assesment of the year a couple of weeks ago but i have still held back 2 cows to bring along to Stratford to support the day. The times will be staggered so if you wanted to come later you could only be there for an hour or so, well thats the initial theory!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

thanks Mark,
would like to have some assessed but whether I can make stratford yet not sure
but it sounds like a good way for people to bring an animal or come and watch to get proper feel for how it works -hope to do so some in the future. Great that they have 8 bulls already
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Linear Assesment is on for this coming Sunday 20th Nov, start time 10.30am ish.
There are now 6 bulls to see and 11 Herds taking part, some only bringing one animal. Show bulls and females are amongst those to be scored so that will be an interesting view. The assesment linear points will be explained on various animals.
Please feel free to come along and watch, it is a basic day, no catering, but hot tea and coffee will be available. The market is under cover so if it rains we are ok.
See you there.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Final Reminder!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

Mark,

Don't think I will be able to make it or the start, when do you expect it to finish?
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Hi Ben, if you want to see a few done then i would suggest you get there for 12 .00 at the latest, we are hoping to finish around 1.30pm.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

First i would like to thank very much the people that were courageous enough to take their cattle to be assessed, it is a big step, individually and for the dexter breed as a whole.
If anyone were to ask if the day was a success, i would say to ask the people that took part or watched.
I would like to thank the Midland group for supporting and staging the event, top marks to Mike Bancroft for all his efforts.
Congratulation to the 2 bulls that acheived Excellent status, Brambledell Frodo EX90 and Daystar Pluto EX91.
Also to top cow on the day Moomin Natalie VG88 ( top female classified nationally so far scored VG89)
Linear is a long term project, we are in the very early stages, but as a furtherment for the bull scheme i feel it is more than an able replacement.
I think there has now been 14 bulls assesed with some still in the system to be done, more than the old bull scheme was achieving and with more published detail.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Steve

Post by Steve »

As a participant in Sunday's classification event, I have to say it was nerve racking when our animals were done!! Worse than showing, the other half thought :? However once that bit was over & done with, we found it most interesting, with some surprising results. Andrew Spicer, the Inspector & a very nice guy, was brilliant with his explanations of how the system worked & how the different components of an animal were assessed to provide the final classification, & pretty soon we were all looking at our animals in a critical, rather than emotional fashion!! A very worth while experience, so thanks Mark for "encouraging" us to take part & thanks to Mike for organising the venue. I would encourage any other Dexter Groups to consider doing it, I think you would find it produced some surprising & interesting results, in addition to being most educational & we're never to old to learn :wink:

As a result I went around our cattle without the rose tinted spectacles today.............it was scary! Told a few of our girls of all their faults, but added their personalities made up for it, as I gave them an apple by way of an apology!!
Steve
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Well summed up Steve, congratulations on your bull score VG89.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster