New Start Advice

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Re: New Start Advice

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Paddy

Yes, taken 4 to a local butcher at 21-22 months (a bit early but they were desperate for XMas) and got around 240kg DW average. They were basically just slightly larger than the Dexters I took at 29 months. They probably weighed a bit more than that really because his weights are always a bit on the light side!!! I didn't get grades and no feedback yet. I'm taking a couple to ABP in 2-3 months times, so I'll get proper grading and weights then.

Three Dangus heifers went to my non-short Dexter bull last year and they are due to calve Feb. I think based on what Ann said on this forum, I'm expecting that they will retain a lot of Angus about them, shape etc, but we shall see soon.

I've kept back another 20 Dangus heifers for breeding but haven't decided what to put them to. I am thinking of buying in a non-short black polled Dexter bull, or maybe something like a Stabiliser. I'm running out of time so may just put them to my Angus for one year and think about it next time round. If Stabilisers were black, I'd definitely go for one of those. Maybe I should forget colour, just makes it more difficult. I just like a herd all the same colour, daft really.

Regards
Clive
pudser

Post by pudser »

The ideal butchers animal-and he fact you do not have to winter them a second year makes it great.Did you give them meal?I think you are on a real winner.

i think so should say away from he stabiliser as you will have enough maternal traits.
Would you chance an easy calving limousin to put a more shape into them?

Cheers

Paddy
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

pudser wrote:i think so should say away from he stabiliser as you will have enough maternal traits.
Would you chance an easy calving limousin to put a more shape into them?
You're reading my mind Paddy. That was sort of why I liked the Stabiliser because they have a little bit in them but are easy calving, and I also have a very large, quality herd just down the road!!! But something with a bit more shape would be good I have to say. Don't know Limos really apart from my mate who has them and spends half his time trying not to be killed by them.....and that's just the cows....literally. But I know they're not all like that. He's picked up a bad line somewhere he says.
Clive
davidw

Post by davidw »

If I can toss in an odd comment on the "Organic" argument. Years ago, before the organic food movement became established, my dad tried producing organic chicken years and had major problems in sourcing organic feed. One of his friends who was producing organic pork at the same time took several major feed manufacturers to court over the fodder they were supplying. He didn't win, because EU legislation says that so long as the majority of ingredients are organic, then the whole lot can be labelled organic. Doesn't make sense to me, its either proper organic or it isn't.
I've seen loads of cheating going on, mainly in organic food sourced from abroad. In one case in Ukraine I visited a "Certified Organic" farm and found they had over 20,000 tons (yes I do mean 20,000 tons) of assorted obsolete Russian pesticides on the place and they were spraying everything in sight. Their equivalent of the "Soil Association Inspector" visited occasionally, collected his "fee" and duly issued an organic certificate. Following that experience I've never trusted any organic label since.
I'd much rather see good farming practice, using a variety of methods to control weeds, pests and diseases, with the minimum use of chemicals.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick