Any advice on clipping along spine?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
davidw

Any advice on clipping along spine?

Post by davidw »

This year with the mild weather, the Dexters I have housed seem to be suffering from mites and lice a bit earlier than usual. Although the shed has plenty of ventilation, several of them seem to be sweating more than usual.
I know some stockmen clip the hair along the spine to provide better cooling and also I believe to reduce the hiding places for lice to lay their eggs. Has anyone got Dexter specific advice or comments?
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Duncan MacIntyre

Re: Any advice on clipping along spine?

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I have no experience of doing this for Dexters, but a lot of my clients with commercial beef herds do clip along the backline of youngstock at housing. It certainly keeps them cooler if there is any lack of ventilation, and using a pour-on for your lice or mites would be very much easier as it will not run down the outside of the coat as it tends to do if unclipped. I use closamectin pour-on on my herd every autumn and as they are outside and rough coated it tends to run of if not put on carefully.
I would not advise clipping if they are outside or in really draughty sheds.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute