4x4 insurance, any recomendations

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
SteveM

4x4 insurance, any recomendations

Post by SteveM »

Shogun insurance due next week, NFU are asking £650 (including £52.50 for two trailers)

Tesco online quote for shogun alone is £333, same named drivers, business use & exess as NFU.

Does anyone have any other recommended providers at reasonable cost?
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Broomcroft

Re: 4x4 insurance, any recomendations

Post by Broomcroft »

We're with Farmers & Mercantile but not sure they exist up your way Steve. Lots of people are complaining about the NFU. If you go back to them and tell them you will not be re-insuring, wait a bit, and they may come back to you with a much improved quote. They've done that to us and lots of other people but we changed anyhow because I don't like that, and I actually paid a bit more to change!

£333 is a fantastic quote I'd say.
Clive
strawberriesclint

Post by strawberriesclint »

Hi

The advantage with the NFU that we have found is that they will insure your animals when in haulage and will guarntee to get both you and the animals in cattle box homw which not alot of companies do. Dont know if this helps.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Steve,

My Shogun ins is due end Feb, I went with them as I get the Ifor Williams included on the insurance for theft etc. is this included in the Tescoc quote ?

Mark S
Brereton Herd
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Couldnt find anything about trailers on Tesco website, so will ring them if I decide to proceed to see if its available.

Itemised as additions on NFU at £45 extra, so comparinging NFU and tesco still just over half price.

Dropping into NFU office on way home from work this afternoon to see if they want to requote.

Independent separate trailer insurers seem to want to see original invoices showing serial numbers, difficult when you have a 2nd hand trailer bought at a farm sale.

Just think 650 is a bit steep for a 16 year old vehicle worth a couple of thousand at best with 2 named drivers 50 and late 70's doing 8000miles at most a year,
Holderness
East Yorkshire
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

I had a similar problem re: the trailer when trying to shop around for insurance.

The other thing to remember is the breakdown cover that comes with the NFU policy includes recovery of the vehicle and trailer.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
cairnhill

Post by cairnhill »

We have just got a policy for the farm and all vehicles from R K Harrison, I would recommend them as a good alternative the the NFU. It was the easiest and most comprehensive cover I've arranged and an excellent price.
http://www.rkhgroup.com/
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Just received my renewal for Shogun and Ifor Williams cattle trailer, £535 an increase of £125 on last year, tried RK Harrison, however to insure with them you need to be a member of Country Landowners Association at an annual cost of £182. Steve M did you manage to find a more competative Quote ?

Mark S

Brereton Herd
BrassMonkey

Post by BrassMonkey »

Just been thru the same problem with NFU ended up with Halifax fully comp bonus protected and covered for towing £187 ( that with full NCB) NFU wanted £467.03 for a Land rover Discovery. Trailers are insured on another policy. I did that meerkat thing on line!
Steve
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Ended up with Tesco at just under £300, and think I will be getting a £25 gift voucher in a january offer.

When I contacted NFU for proof of no claims they didnt even ask why I wasnt renewing, so guess it must be quite common.
Holderness
East Yorkshire
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Ended up with Tesco at just under £300, and think I will be getting a £25 gift voucher in a january offer.

When I contacted NFU for proof of no claims they didnt even ask why I wasnt renewing, so guess it must be quite common.
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

We asked the Halifax about insuring our Landrover but it is the type without side windows, this means it is classed as a van by them and they say they don't insure vans. Maybe we should try Tesco?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Hi

Try Hastings Van Insurance, We have a commercial Shogun without side windows and they have given me the best quote so far. £332 (vehicle 5 years old) We will probably insure the Ifor Williams trailer with Hodgsons based in Cornwall, 01288 353999. £89 for a trailer with a value up to £2000. This will save £125 on NFU renewal.

Mark S

Brereton Herd
ann

Post by ann »

I had my car (Nissanx Trail) insured with saga but they ceased the insurance on my trailer and the only company I could find was the NFU who would insure my trailer both on and of my vehicle. If your trailer has any value I would check out if its covered by your tesco policy. Unfortunately the NFU would only insure my trailer if I had my vehicle insured with them to. Inc trailer my fully comp ins was £300.

Unfortunately landdrovers are great targets for thieves :( so this may be the reason your quote was so high.