Would someone be able to tell me?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Inger

Would someone be able to tell me?

Post by Inger »

I need to know if Llanfair's Finnigan, a USA registered bull ADCA8221, was a carrier or a non-carrier? I need to determine if it's necessary to test a Dexte herd for BD1. The lady owning the Dexters concerned, was getting a number of bulldog calves and we suspect that testing for BD2 would be sufficient to pick out any carriers, but are just checking the background pedigrees of bulls that she has used, in case she needs to check for BD1 as well.

BD2 (the NZ version) is easier to pick in an animal, by looking at it, than BD1 is, but DNA testing will give her greater confidence with her mating choices.
Inger
NZ
Broomcroft

Re: Would someone be able to tell me?

Post by Broomcroft »

He looks like a non-short to me.

Clive
marion

Post by marion »

Hi Inger, Finnegan was definitely non-short..marion
Marion Cdn.
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Llanfairs Finnigan is tested non-carrier. None of her bulldogs could have been sired by him.
He is not eligible to carry the other chondro because he has none of that breeding.
Margaret
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
Inger

Post by Inger »

Thanks for that info, I'll let the breeder know. If she only has to test for BD2 (from the mother's side), it should make it cheaper. I think the new test provider will do one or the other test, whereas the previous laboratory insisted doing both tests, if you needed the BD2 test done. That made it more expensive.
Inger
NZ