New rules for TB at shows

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

New rules for TB at shows

Post by Mark Bowles »

I see DEFRA have brought in the new TB rules from 1st July 2012.
You now have to pre movement test if going to a show for more than 24hr or of they are housed inside at a 1 day show. I think that is correct anyway. Check out the defra website.
More costs!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Steve

Re: New rules for TB at shows

Post by Steve »

Have I read it correctly, is it just stock from "high risk" areas that have to be pre-movement tested for shows of more than 24hrs or housed under cover? As you stated Mark, yet more costs!! :?
We, in "high risk areas" through no fault of our own, already have all the pre-movement costs associated with selling stock, which has to be passed on to the buyer or absorbed by the seller, now we are to pay extra to show too! Guaranteed to reduce entries at shows, me thinks!
Isn't it about time there was an annual test for all UK herds? Let's have a level playing field & less of the "CPH lottery"! In my opinion the "low risk" areas are a time bomb waiting to explode as the producers who smuggly avertise stock from "4yr testing area" will eventually find out if the current TB eradication policy continues. :(
Steve :evil:
Colin

Post by Colin »

I can understand the logic, but it will discourage some people from showing. I only go to a couple of local shows and will reconsider whether it is worth it.

Link is here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/2012/05/02 ... -controls/

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

From what i understand 1 day shows are still ok with no testing unless you get there the day before and stay overnight then you test. Think it may be best to ask the shows themselves, if they know of course.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Colin

Post by Colin »

It applies if the cattle are housed or are held there for more than 24 hours. What does housed mean, inside a building or does it include a marquee ?

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
Steve

Post by Steve »

We reckon it includes marquees, Colin :cry: , so that probably means breed exhibitions as well.
Steve
Jac

Post by Jac »

We have been living with this rule in Wales for some time now and everyone is on a twelve month testing regime (plus pre-movement tests) regardless of risk.

It would be nice to be on a level playing field with the rest of the country as regards to costs. If self-funding for TB tests had been resisted by all in the first place we wouldn't be in this position now. They would have done something about the badgers instead.
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

These changes only apply to TB areas of 1 and 2 year testing so if you are in a 4 yearly testing area then nothing has changed. Good news for us, bad news for some. :(

Natasha
Robert & Alison Kirk

Post by Robert & Alison Kirk »

Hi Natasha,

Don't be too complacent, TB can strike at any time. We have been clear for three years and decided to have a closed herd several years ago. We don't' hire out bulls, buy in cattle, take cattle to shows and when out at grass our cattle graze where no cattle have been for years and nor are cattle grazing in neighbouring fields.

In January a short leg steer who had always grazed within his group tested as an IR, everything else was clear. He was tested again 60 days later and was now a reactor with lesions found at slaughter. The whole herd including spring born calves went totally clear through a severe interpretation test following which most of our cattle have been moved under licence to summer grazing away from the main holding.

There are no symptoms with this disease until it is advanced and I really do think that all cattle should undergo 12 monthly testing. How do you know if you are clear of TB if cattle have not been tested for up to 4 years?

Best wishes

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
carole

Post by carole »

as Royal Cornwall is our local show and also one which is a 3 day show I can understand the concerns of those who are showing, we have said before I doubt if we would have taken to this wonderful breed had it not been seeing them at the shows.

Having said that most of the west country to my knowledge is under a yearly test regime so maybe it wont affect shows in the west country so much.
Callington, Cornwall
Jac

Post by Jac »

carole wrote:as Royal Cornwall is our local show and also one which is a 3 day show I can understand the concerns of those who are showing, we have said before I doubt if we would have taken to this wonderful breed had it not been seeing them at the shows.

Having said that most of the west country to my knowledge is under a yearly test regime so maybe it wont affect shows in the west country so much.
All well and good if your annual test falls near a show. We worked it out and in order to do the shows our animals would have to be tested three times a year. They become nervous wrecks - every time they see a stranger i.e a judge they think they are going to jab them.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Jac wrote:
All well and good if your annual test falls near a show. We worked it out and in order to do the shows our animals would have to be tested three times a year. They become nervous wrecks - every time they see a stranger i.e a judge they think they are going to jab them.
Jac how I agree. Our cattle are known for being friendly under normally circumstances, but show them the cattle crush & instantly they withdraw their co-operation! Some even start bellowing/roaring before the Vet gets anywhere near them with the injection! Also, with a pre-movement TB test costing £100+ & entry fees to large shows around £30 an animal, showing's a non starter this year! :(
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

The same rule changes are going to affect sole occupancy authorities, which will have a severe impact on me as renting all my ground I rely on them.

I will have to check whether the stated change to "no new SOA's" will apply to adding land to an existing SOA or not. Could have a big impact for conservation grazing as well.
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We went from a 4 year zone to 1 year overnight. One day we were fine, the next we were't, how does that work? According to locals, TB was brought onto a dairy farm round here from a 4 year zone.
Clive
Robert & Alison Kirk

Post by Robert & Alison Kirk »

About three years there was a dispersal sale of a very large dairy herd (in Hertfordshire I think) in a four year testing parish. The cattle were dispersed throughout the UK and when they were subjected to TB testing by their new owners a large number of these cattle were found to be reactors (we know someone who purchased store cattle from this dispersal sale and they were reactors also).

Regards

Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters