Wild wee thing.

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
domsmith

Wild wee thing.

Post by domsmith »

We cut last years bull calves 3 weeks ago, that is we cut all but the one that jumped the dyke and made it back to the cows.
Low and behold the first of the cows comes a bulling and whos on the case but the same little shite that jumped the wall. As you know the proper bulls are still inside.
i see red!!!
The last thing i want is a rogue bull leaving me calves.

My first thought was to shoot it.... seemd a little harsh. but luck would have i see him this moring in a small field with just 2 cows, its my chance to get him.
trouble is the cows get out of the field before i can shut it, but hes still in it. HAHAHA man over beast!

i get back to the farm to get help and a trailer. i explain how clever i am and point to the field i have him in, which just so happens to have a loading pen in! as i point to the field and tell the story, i see in the distance the bugger has jumped the wall and is running up the public road.

Well of course by the time i get back over, hes jumped back. but over whelmed by a red mist and with my ever attendant dogs i get him back to the farm.

he is now incarcerated with the bulls and condemned to the vet at the earliest opertunity.

If he is not there in the morning it will be the gun! :mrgreen:

dom
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Re: Wild wee thing.

Post by Mark Bowles »

Brilliant!
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

This morning as the sun was rising i awoke with the larks! or was it dexter bullocks baying at the front gate?
anyway i look out of the window before 6am and see Angus bull stood in the yard beeing cheered on by a mob. this mob was the one i used to get the "wild wee thing" in. i had left them close to the farm to sort out today. looks like the excitement had got old Angus going.

i look to see how he has got out of the hay barn, has he jumped the gate? or the feed barrier?.... no of course not hes run through the side of the shed parting the steel sheets like a curtain. a spectacular show for his little friends no doubt.

by the time i have got out there he is amongst the dexters.... a bit of pushing and again my quick wits :) i have him in the cattle pens. emergency over, nothing to see here.

i send the stirks away and back to their field and come back to sort out the big man, but NO the pen i empty! 6ft all round and nothing broken..... no sign of him....Houdini?

then i spot him running down the hill, in my neighbours field and heading for freedom.

2 hours later, a brocken light lens, an over heated quad, a tumble into a wet ditch(clean trousers as well) 2 worn out dogs.
i look at my watch 9 am.....is that too early for bed.

dom
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Blimey Dom they are giving you a towsing but it is very entertaining for the rest of us! :)

Stephanie

P.S. I reckon a large cup of coffee and a reclining chair would be in order, sounds like the dogs deserve a rest as well.
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

domsmith wrote:i look to see how he has got out of the hay barn, has he jumped the gate? or the feed barrier?.... no of course not hes run through the side of the shed parting the steel sheets like a curtain. a spectacular show for his little friends no doubt.
We had this a few weeks ago - borrowed a large trailer with an internal gate in to move the steers in one go. We got the first group separated from the cows and into the trailer but while we were getting the second group rounded up one of the originals appeared in the back of the trailer. Being only short we marvelled at his jumping skills from a standing start over a 5ft barrier. So we put him back in and went back to the others. As soon as we turned our backs he squeezed himself out through the tin on the gate (which, inexplicably, was riveted onto the reverse side of the gate, so the cattle were pushing against the rivets. My wife was all ready to sign him up for the olympics before we realised what was going on.
ann

Post by ann »

Poor Don

Now i know why I put rubber rings on them before they are a week old, despite the remarks against this practice if we can't find 2 when we do it, then we leave them later to be cut.

However its very entertaining to hear the exploits of other people's dexters.

My worst adventure was when we where re ear tagging some steers and one tried to jump the gate and I silly me was behind it as i was operating the crush gate. I think my brother and nephew thought I was a goner, still suffering from all the bruises, but otherwise alive and kicking.

If we put all the adventures we have in a book i bet it would be a best seller, but we might never sell another dexter :( :(
Colin

Post by Colin »

I guess we've all got similar experiences to relate.

I separated a few steers off from the cows and shut them inside a field shelter, using a cattle hurdle. I assumed this allowed me a bit of time to finish rigging up an electric fence across a field for them to graze. As I was leasurely walking down the field I heard a loud crash. saw splinters of wood fly into the air and within a few seconds I was joined by a steer galloping full pelt towards me. My leasurely attempt to rig the electric fence turned into a mad dash, whilst also trying to keep him on the right side of the fence.

Turned out he'd lifted the cattle hurdle, turned it on its side and crashed it through the boards above the field shelter doorway. Then he cleared a 5 foot gate, plus barbed wire fence to join me in the field. I didn't think he liked me so much :wink: . I thought of entering him into the Grand National :) .

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
goldshaft dexters

Post by goldshaft dexters »

Ann
We could "...change the name of the breed to protect the innocent...." :wink:
Andrea O'Grady
Tasmania, Australia