Grumpy Dexter

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
fallowfield-dexters

Grumpy Dexter

Post by fallowfield-dexters »

One of my Dexters today is being an absolute evil little thing!! I walked into the field and she stayed away, as a result I ignored her and did the others food and water when she eventually decided to come over I walked behind her and she swiped her leg out at me. Normally she is lovely and is first over for the food and halters without food normally. Im putting it down to her being near to calving, shes could be due any day after tomorrow but Im thinking more end of next week. Non of my other breeds are quite so stroppy, is it a dexter thing or is she simply having a bad day and fed up of this weather like the rest of us!!
Broomcroft

Re: Grumpy Dexter

Post by Broomcroft »

Well unless she just goes like this when very near to calving, I'd be looking to see if she was in pain. Any sign of anything untoward? I'd take her temp to see if that's normal. If high speak to the vet asap.
Clive
fallowfield-dexters

She occasionally has days close to this but nothing quite as bad as how grumpy she was. Nothing appeared wrong, she wasnt lame and outwardly appeared fine. Once she came over for food she did munch on the hard food and pushed off the younger ones. Just looked out the window and shes eating grass. So hoping possibly calf is just in awkward position or getting ready to give birth possibly?
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Sometimes cattle can be stroppy if they are low in magnesium, so I would keep a very good eye on her.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Cows can get cranky with what I think might be hyperglyceamia also, but the couple we have had have taken that out on the new calves, as have a friends Murray Grey cows. In all cases molasses has worked miracles on their attitudes to their calves. Nothing scientific.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
goldshaft dexters

Post by goldshaft dexters »

I think Margaret (Wagra) means hypoglycaemic. It could be that she is close and may be having contractions. She may be blaming you for the pain she's having with them (just like a dog will blame you for the shock they get when they touch the electric fence with you standing next to them!!).
Andrea O'Grady
Tasmania, Australia
www.goldshaftdexters.com.au
wagra dexters

Post by wagra dexters »

Yes Andrea, you are right, I do mean hypo. And I knew that!! Sorry.
Have you ever had cows rejecting new babies? We had one lump of a brand new baby boy who gave it right back to his Mum as soon as he was on his feet. A two-way brawl until we stood her in the head-bale for him to feed. She calmed down and became a nice clucky mummy after she had a good feed of lucerne & molasses.
Graham Beever & Margaret Weir
http://www.wagra-dexter.com.au/
fallowfield-dexters

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your help, I ran my vet friend who came out and assured me it was just her getting ready for labour and was simply uncomfortable, the joys of having a really good friend whos a vet :). Sure enough having just got home from work she is in beginning stages of labour with tail extended, vulva completely slacked and discharge, refusing food and guarding the barn. Fingers crossed for my first home bred heifer :D
fallowfield-dexters

Just been to field to check and found a tiny red bull calf :( At least hes healthy but desperate for one of my own heifers. I have a Gloucester cow who has had 12 bull calves in a row hoping my dexter doesnt follow her lead!!!
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Great news, well done. Want to do some swaps, we've had almost 100% heifers this year and I wanted 100% steers :(.
Clive