Calves out in winter?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Ryesdexters

Calves out in winter?

Post by Ryesdexters »

We have 4 calves that all range from 7 days old (born 04/11/12) - 2 months only (born 16/09/12)
We are concerned considering we are fast approaching winter and this is our first time having cows that they may get too cold.

They at present have a large oak tree for shelter that we have bedded around with lots of straw to keep them warm.
At what point would you if any feel the need to bring them in as we have been told that dexters are hardy but obviously we are concerned about the calves if the temperature drops ?
Please advise :?
Please follow our Blog "Life on a small farm in the Ryes Valley"
http://www.smallholdersmemoirs.blogspot.co.uk

We also manufacture and sell:
Timber gates and Garage Doors - Fencing - IAE products and much more.
http://www.gatewrights.co.uk
Broomcroft

Re: Calves out in winter?

Post by Broomcroft »

My opinion is that cold is not problem, I was calving in -14C last year, inside admittedly. But constant wet is a problem. A few years ago we out-wintered a group and it was constantly wet. Some got rain scald which I think is a fungus, not certain, but whatever it is, the skin on their backs went scabby and the vet said the only think to cure it would be sun. I did ask him to arrange that for me and low and behold it did start to shine, so end of problem. He's an exceptional vet :)

Constantly standing round in mud not good either. Dexter's are as hard as nails but they can only take so much.

IMO, keeping them in good condition with good nutrition will avoid a lot of problems, whether in or out. If the cows have plenty of milk and the calves are suckling and growing well, shouldn't be a problem. But maybe the cows need a little help, extra feed as they are supporting themselves and their calves? Some feed each day, or feed blocks. Depends what your grass and forage is like really. You can get special licks to give them some help.

Regarding oak trees … watch out for acorns as I am fairly certain they are poisonous to cattle in sufficient quantity. They probably won't eat them but if they are hungry and there's loads (maybe not now, but later next year) then they could start gorging on them. I may be thinking of sheep, but if I'm wrong someone will say so soon.
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Bringing them in will risk pneumonia. calves best outdoors. keep verything fed and cold is no issue in this country.

i had a calf born outside in -14 c he lost the tips of his ears but was very fit and healthy.

the rain and mud is more of a problem like Clive says.

dominic
Mima

Post by Mima »

Hi,
We keep and calve all our native cattle outside where they are much healthier and happier overall, but that is why we choose them! We feed them only haylage with mineral licks available and there are plenty of big hedges to shelter under from the worst of the weather. Our last Dexter heiffer is due to calve her first calf in the next week or so and she will remain outside with the herd where she will be most relaxed. If she ends up calving in extremely poor weather we will be prepared to lend a hand if needed but we avoid bringing them in at all costs as this can cause more stress to the animals and as they are used to us visiting them everyday we prefer to lend a hand in the field with towel drying and supplementary bottle feeding to give them a kick start if needed. Having said that none of the Dexters have so far required this.

IME once calves are up on their feet, moving around and bonded with mum who has good condition, a shiny coat and good milk supply then they are ready for most of what nature could throw at them.

It does however depend on your land type, ground conditions and stocking rate, so I would suggest monitoring the individual animals and your land make decissions on what is best from an overall point of view.

Mima
Ryesdexters

Post by Ryesdexters »

Thanks so much guys for the info. "Broomcroft" can you please send your vet down this way as we need some sun!!!!
We have high mag mineral lick down- would anyone recommend having more than one lick down like maybe a high protein lick also?
Also one more question. What are feed blocks?

Rob R

Post by Rob R »

We bring ours in but it is more to protect the land than the cattle, once the grass runs out it will quickly turn to mud and cause poaching & soil erosion. Ventilation if key if you do bring them in though, our cattle building is basically a roof and a floor with 1.5m retaining walls for the muck and to provide some shelter from the wind, and the roof is only there to keep the bedding dry!

We Spring calve though to keep management easy but occasionally buy in animals out of the calving pattern and we'd rather they calve in the snow than the rain.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Ryesdexters wrote:We have 4 calves that all range from 7 days old (born 04/11/12) - 2 months only (born 16/09/12)
We are concerned considering we are fast approaching winter and this is our first time having cows that they may get too cold.

They at present have a large oak tree for shelter that we have bedded around with lots of straw to keep them warm.
At what point would you if any feel the need to bring them in as we have been told that dexters are hardy but obviously we are concerned about the calves if the temperature drops ?
Please advise :?
You may find the following leaflet useful. It can be downloaded from here http://www.sruc.ac.uk/downloads/file/74 ... ckler_cows
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Ryesdexters wrote:What are feed blocks?
Licks and blocks are similar in that they are a solid form of minerals, feed and usually molasses compressed.

I would call a lick something that is fairly solid and that can only be licked, or maybe scraped a bit with their teeth. They should last a long time and usually come in a bucket or a block with a hole through to hang from a gate.

A feed block is softer and can easily be scraped, so the uptake (assuming they like the flavour) is much higher. They are usually supplied not in a bucket and you place them on the ground, up against a tree or in a special container made for them. Feed blocks are a quick, easy and effective way of getting minerals and energy into livestock. I wouldn't use many as they are expensive given the rate of uptake, and you don't want fat cattle if you can help it.

If you want to feed though, I'd say best to use actual feed because you know then what they've had and how much. A lot of people will feed a bit over the autumn and winter to ensure that their cattle are getting what they need, including mag.

Generally, we use the yellow cattle buckets from Supalyx. Another range highly recommended by most farmers is Crystalyx, but we've not used them.

If in doubt about your licks and whether they are being licked by all, then put another make and model out and see how it goes.

With my vet, he made the sun shine that once, but since then he's been hopeless :).
Clive
Ryesdexters

Post by Ryesdexters »

That's great. Thanks very much I'll have a read.
Also anymore advise on the earlier post:

"We have high mag mineral lick down- would anyone recommend having more than one lick down like maybe a high protein lick also?
Also one more question. What are feed blocks?"

ann

Post by ann »

Feed blocks are balancer's in the form of blocks (you really need a container to put them in) they are a supplement poor grazing or silage, for more information check out http://www.rumenco.co.uk/