House cow

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Louisa Gidney

House cow

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I just had a third enquiry this year from people looking to buy a trained hand-milking house cow. Any suggestions of where I can direct any further enquirers? Since the demise of the Vycanny herd, I don't know of anyone locally with trained milking cows.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
ann

Re: House cow

Post by ann »

It would be interesting to know how much someone would pay for a cow that will be hand milked, i to have had inquiries, the problem is, are the people use to hand milking, as a cow soon realizes if she has an amateur on the milking stool and it has to be a very steady dexter cow who will tolerate a learner.

:)
domsmith

Re: House cow

Post by domsmith »

I sold a 10 year old cow with calf for milking. she was a great cow, machine or hand milk. i let her go for £650 because she was going to a very good home, the family have 8 children and a desperate need for milk! she was as good as a pet really.

lots of people out there fancy a house cow, i feel many will be misguided. i should think they dont really know what they are letting themselves in for!

we have a jersey at the minute, she is just a delight! but i really should work on another dexter this coming year. i think if you have the right cow you can get milking very quickly.

dominic