Home killing

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
John999

Home killing

Post by John999 »

As it will be my first steer to be killed I was wondereing if anyone has any views or expieriances on getting someone in and killing the beast at home. I would think it could be less streesful for him,but are there any pitfalls.
John
Rob R

Re: Home killing

Post by Rob R »

We used to home kill when I only had a few for ourselves but these days it isn't worth the hassle, as I know the abattoir will do a good job. The biggest pitfall is having to dispose of the SRM and all the work of skinning and butchering (as you can get someone to shoot the animal for you but they shouldn't do any more than that, as far as the law goes, for home consumption).
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

The mess! and have you the chill space to hang it for a few weeks?

worth paying the abattoir just to get rid of skin and guts!

Dom
John999

Post by John999 »

The people Ive spoken to will kill, gut and skin, supply chill cabinet on farm, come back in2 to 3 weeks and cut him up. for £200 to £225. I have to supply big bag for skin guts etc, and bags for meat.

John
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

What you have been offered is currently against the law, you can legally employ someone to kill the animal but you must dress and butcher it yourself if you want to consume the meat. If someone else dresses and butchers it you run the risk of the meat being condemned and destroyed, and possible prosecution, if anyone official were to find out.

The current guidance for England & Wales is available in this PDF from the FSA
helena

Post by helena »

my understanding is that anything killed on the farm is for your own use and that includes not feeding guests with the meat as it has not been stamped.I think taking the animal to a licence slaughter house there are small butchers shops that still kill it is kinder to the animal as they have the correct equipment to hold the animal for stunning etc.also from my butchering days the carcase needs to be chilled correctly .I pay for my private kills about 350 as I can do longer manage to cut up myself the whole lot comes back labels cut to how I asked and hung for 28 days.
also how do you feel about seeing the animal shot.
I must admit the best beef is home reared and nothing tastes like dexter beef.
John999

Post by John999 »

Thanks all, slaughter house it is then.

John
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

helena wrote:my understanding is that anything killed on the farm is for your own use and that includes not feeding guests with the meat as it has not been stamped.
I've been told the same and that it means only you can eat the meat. So your family can have all the vegetables :). Daft or wot?
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

John999 wrote:Thanks all, slaughter house it is then.

John
Obviously you will have extra cost for transport but other than that the price will be pretty much the same. Having done both I prefer the abattoir option because it is so much more efficient for man and animal, plus you get the option of selling or giving away some of the meat without the worry of the food police catching up with you.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I'd go the abattoir route 100%, BUT I have to add that we had a home-killed lamb last year and it was quite simply the best lamb I've ever tasted in my life. I assume the complete lack of stress produced the most delectable meat.
Clive