DCS Associate membership

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
jem

DCS Associate membership

Post by jem »

Can somebody tell me what is the difference between Full & Associate membership of the DCS. I sold my breeding animals last year and only retained 2 Dexter steers. Can I now switch from Full to Associate membership for this year?
monica a waltho

Re: DCS Associate membership

Post by monica a waltho »

Hi Jem,
Fairly certain you can switch, I think associate is for people who still want to keep links with society but no longer have a herd or animals to register but for full details look on society web site or email office. Probably restrictions on voting etc

monica
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
jem

Post by jem »

I did contact the DCS office and was told if I owned ANY Dexters at all, even steers that were not registered animals, I needed to be a full member. However, I have been told by an ex-council member that if I only had steers and did not wish to register any animals I could take the Associate membership. I am also secretary to a local group and 2 members have asked me the same question this year so to get a correct answer is very important. As there are several memebrs of the DCS Council who post on this site I was hoping one of them would clarify the situation for me.
Ted Neal

Post by Ted Neal »

The Society Rules and Byelaws give the following memberships.

1.2 Members of the Charity shall be:-
(a) Full Members UK & EEC and International (one vote)
(b) Family Members UK & EEC and International (one vote)
(c) Associate Members UK & EEC and International (no vote)
(d) Junior Members UK & EEC and International (no vote)
(e) Honorary Members (one vote)
(f) Remaining Life Members (one vote)

1.3 Associate membership shall be granted to such persons and for such periods as the Council
may from time to time determine. Associate members may not register Dexter Cattle and shall not
be eligible to become Trustees of the Charity nor to vote at any General Meeting of the Charity;

I agree with Monica and her interpretation of the rules. It must be better having associates paying subs rather than losing them altogether.

Point 1.3 is a bit of a worry though; "shall be granted" etc how did this wording get through? In the past this has been automatic and not at the discretion of the Council.