Weaned the 2012 crop today

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
domsmith

Weaned the 2012 crop today

Post by domsmith »

I have taken advantage of this dry spell to wean all the cows. In my system i keep the calves on the cows until feb/march. then turn the cows out and keep the calves inside.
we should calve april/may.
It a good chance for me to see all the calves together and see what i have to sell for the year! i can see already my poor silage and a bad summer, are going to mean these calves will be with me longer than i wanted.

so its going to be a noisey night, and i wonder where i will find the cows in the morning. there is always a certain amount of chaos.

dom
Broomcroft

Re: Weaned the 2012 crop today

Post by Broomcroft »

Good luck with that dom. I weaned my lot at Christmas, what a row, even though they were 9-10 months' old. Due to calve starting tomorrow, all inside though, fingers crossed. I wish I had a calving camera.
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Sleepless night was not the worst of it.

went out to the cows wednesday morning, saw a black shape stretched down alongside a fence, on quite a steep bank. went over and its a bl**dy cow. she must have slipped down the banking, and as she slipped her foot became stuck in the stock netting.
she was hanging by her back leg, from the fencing facing down a slope. when i cut the wire she slipped down about 5 feet to rest on a tree stump.

she cannot get up, the leg appears intact, but it must have been damaged. Using brut strength and ignorance i managed to get her to a flat area to hopefully recover.

she is down a gulley probably 50 ft down no tractor access, or hope of recovery other than walking out.

couldnt sleep last night, evey time i close my eyes i see her foot stuck in that wire!

joys of livestock

dom
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Oh yikes, keep us posted dom.
Clive
Ryesdexters

Post by Ryesdexters »

Broomcroft wrote:Good luck with that dom. I weaned my lot at Christmas, what a row, even though they were 9-10 months' old. Due to calve starting tomorrow, all inside though, fingers crossed. I wish I had a calving camera.
I use our kids video baby monitor. Works a treat :0)
Please follow our Blog "Life on a small farm in the Ryes Valley"
http://www.smallholdersmemoirs.blogspot.co.uk

We also manufacture and sell:
Timber gates and Garage Doors - Fencing - IAE products and much more.
http://www.gatewrights.co.uk
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Gave up with the cow on saturday morning. called out a neighbour with a suitable firearm to dispatch her.
if i could have got her back to base we could have given her time, but where she was was just terrible.

never mind

dominic
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Ah bad luck dom. Best thing for her though no doubt.
Clive