Cross bred Dexters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Cresswell Dexters

Cross bred Dexters

Post by Cresswell Dexters »

I know there was a post about crossing Dexters with other breeds recently. I normally breed only pure Dexters but last autumn having sold my Dexter bulls I left it too late to find a replacement so not wishing to have no calves this year I borrowed a small Belted Galloway bull from the estate where I work. Having read the post about crossing with other breeds, there didn't seem much to recommend doing such a cross. I therefore waited with nervous anticipation to see what would happen! I am pleased to report that when I looked out of the window this morning I was delighted to see a little Dexter size calf but with a big white stripe! I now am waiting anxiously for the rest to calve and hoping my red and dun cows might have red and dun babies with a white stripe! I shall try and photograph the new arrival so you can all tell me what you think.
Rob R

Re: Cross bred Dexters

Post by Rob R »

We had a Belted cross Kerry steer a couple of years ago that did well as a cross.
justmalc

Post by justmalc »

The Dexter x Beltie is a really good cross which we've been using for about four years on some of our non-short cows. Steers finish really well and the heifers are always picked out by purchasers because they always seem to have at least a partial belt and look quite attractive.

We hire bulls out and one of the local herds has asked for the Beltie rather than a Dexter this autumn.

Haven't bred from any of the cross bred heifers yet so we don't know how strong the belt gene will be in carrying through the generations.

Justmalc.
Cresswell Dexters

I think the belt gene must be quite strong as we use Belties as sweeper bulls on the Friesian dairy cows where I work and nearly all the calves haves belts or partial belts - they just lack that hairiness which comes from the Friesian. I too only use the Beltie bull on non-short cows - I don't keep the short any more.
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

I have a beltie dexter cow, she is the bees knees. rough hardy and a great mother. the calves from her have been everything from full belt to white fleck to complete black.
But what a character! bought her in ayr market 4 years ago, no one else wanted her but i am glad i got her afamily favourite.

must try and breed some more.

dominic
Mima

Post by Mima »

That's great news, I am so exited about our venture, I picked both breeds for good reasons (I hope) so far it is proving successful but we also haven't bred from the heifer cross breds yet although I plan to. The result wanted is obviously the best of both, native suckler herd which thrives and finishes on grass under 30 mnths to good weight and grade, hardy enough to live out all year, small enough not to poach ground, big enough to give a return, quiet enough to handle etc etc,

Good luck to us all, and keep in touch with the progress.

MIma
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I thought Belties were wild. A friend of mine had a herd and he had to get rid of them, found them difficult he said. No experience myself. He's now got a herd of wild Limos :?.
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Broomcroft wrote:I thought Belties were wild. A friend of mine had a herd and he had to get rid of them, found them difficult he said. No experience myself. He's now got a herd of wild Limos :?.
Ours steer was wild, until we weaned him, then he calmed right down and you could walk up to him in the field so we deduced that it must have been was the Kerry influence.
Cresswell Dexters

Striped baby number 2 arrived yesterday and has a perfect stripe and looks very like a Beltie. I think they are slightly bigger than the pure Dexter calves but no problems yet! Will keep you posted.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Cresswell Dexters wrote:Striped baby number 2 arrived yesterday and has a perfect stripe and looks very like a Beltie. I think they are slightly bigger than the pure Dexter calves but no problems yet! Will keep you posted.
We'd love to see a photo!
Clive
Cresswell Dexters

I've tried to attach a picture but it says the attachment is invalid. Any tips for uploading pictures?
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Open an account with photobucket.com or the like, upload your images there. Then click on them, copy the "direct link", then do a post on here, click the image (Img) button, and paste in the address of the image.

i.e. this image is not on here, it's just a link to my photobucket image. This is Jessie my sheepdog and best mate.

Clive
Cresswell Dexters

Not sure I've done this quite right but hopefully if you click on the link you can see 2 pictures one of a Beltie/Dexter calf and one of my beautiful cow Jam Roly Poly who is yet to calve.

[img][IMG]http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w64 ... bbed48.jpg[/img][/img]
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Nice calf, and the cow as well.
Clive
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Stunning looking little calf.

So on the basis of 'Dangus', and as a bit of light hearted Sunday afternoon musing what are they called?

Bexter
Belter
Dextoway
Dalloway
Tim