Rose veal advice please...

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Saffy

Rose veal advice please...

Post by Saffy »

This is a question for Dom, or anyone else with the answers!!!

I have a calf that is unpredictable when moved from one field to the other, doesn't follow the others, so I'm going to get rid of her asap. I thought rose veal? So need to know a bit about it. I'm hoping a local restaurant will take the meat. What age to slaughter? What about cuts? Anything else I need to know?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
domsmith

Re: Rose veal advice please...

Post by domsmith »

Hi Stephanie
to be called veal i think the calf needs to be under 9 months old. but i have sold it up to 12 months as it is veal not beef EU legal crap.

Basically you get the beef cuts but lean and small. my chefs want shoulder for stews, blanquette etc. shin on the bone (osso bucco) whole chunks of boned shoulder.
rump cuts, silverside, topside, thick flank, rump. all make steaks or escalopes.
Loin for steaks or chops. that includes the sirloin, fillet and fore rib.
Vealflank for sausages or stuffed bellly.

if i was selling, i woould look to sell the loin on the bone as a short cut sirloin including the fillet. whole boned shoulder, then all the rump cuts as primals (untrimmed whole cuts) let the chef cut it up as they want it.

does that answer any questions? feel free to ask anything.

dom
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Hello Dom,

Thank you!

.....Approx what do I charge for it Dom to a restaurant, cut up and delivered per Kg if they take it all, or a half?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Hi Stephanie, I don't know anything about it, but I know Freedom Food have a standard for it, so just read their website, which says this.

"Freedom Food labelled British high welfare veal comes from calves reared to the RSPCA welfare standards, slaughtered between 6 and 12 months. They must have evidence that their blood haemoglobin is above accepted levels. Calves slaughtered between 8 and 12 months can also be called ‘rose’ veal."
Clive
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Not sure these days!

basically i am charging £850 for a 140kg carcass. thats in primals, so not sliced or portioned. vaccum packed and delivered to their door. i suspect thats £9 a kilo ish when you take out the bones (which they get as well to make stock from) it sounds expensive to me when i write it down! but i priced these last ones on the value of the calf, killing, cutting, delivery. my price was 600, 75, 110, 65. thats how i got my price! so maybe do the same rather than going for a per kilo.
Thats an angus cross dexter.

dexter will be smaller

does that help

dom
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Thank you very much Dom, that is a great help.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny