Melton Mowbray Sale 14th Sept 2013

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Melton Mowbray Sale 14th Sept 2013

Post by Mark Bowles »

Entries close for Melton Mowbray Sale Saturday 14th Sept 2013, online on 11th August. Show day is Friday 13th August with dexter judge Mick Oliphant doing the honours. This sale continues to attract premium buyers and good quality cattle for sale, every one has to be halter trained.
Online enter at www.grassroots.co.uk/melton.html
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Re: Melton Mowbray Sale 14th Sept 2013

Post by Mark Bowles »

Just a reminder to bring this Sale to the fore again. Entries are going well. This sale will have a show on the friday with a dexter society panel judge and all enties will be inspected by DCS representatives to ensure buyer confidence. All cattle must be halter trained and fully registered with the DCS.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Ted Neal

Post by Ted Neal »

Have you got your months a bit muxed ip?
On line closes 11th
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Yes Ted, senile old age!!!!
Entries close 11th August,..show day friday 13th Sept and sale day the day after on Sat 14th Sept.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

All cattle entries have been extended to a closing date of Friday 16th August.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
LISA

Post by LISA »

The Catalogue for this Sale is available to view online (not sure how to get the link!)

Look like some nice animals forward, both alive and frozen!!!

Cannot Wait.
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

If you just log in using grassroots link in mark's first post takes you straight to catalogue
some intersting lots although perhaps not as many as some years but only 3 other breeds are represented.
I see you haven't got any in this time Lisa??
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
Ted Neal

Post by Ted Neal »

Not sure if I am reading catalogue correctly as regards semen for sale; but it sounds like even if you buy those where the Society has some in their long term bank then "Big Brother" tells you how to use it !!!
No way Jose
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

Thought same as you Ted when I first read it but I think it is saying what catagory this semen is that the society hold as well so I suppse anyone who has wanted to use it but felt ineligible could now buy it.
It will be interesting to see what it makes, does anyone know what genus charge for storage etc ?
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
Kelvin and Lottie James

Post by Kelvin and Lottie James »

Whatever is happening at Melton, only four breeds, with a total of thirty cattle entered. Some of these will not be forward, so unless people are interested in the semen there will probably be very few buyers present. A great shame because ther used to be a huge number of cattle with severeal more breeds entered.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Just a note from me, if you buy the semen you can use it on whatever you want, the society has no control over it.
Statement from Grassroots as follows:-
RARE DEXTER SEMEN ON SALE AT MELTON SHOW & SALE

Dexter cattle breeders will have a unique opportunity to purchase semen from several leading Dexter bulls – including the famous Sarum pair ‘Bullrush’ and ‘Duster Dale’ – at Melton Mowbray’s 11th Traditional Native Breeds National Show and Sale. The event is being held at Melton Mowbray’s Livestock Market, with show judging on Friday 13th September and the sale on Saturday 14th September.

This year’s event includes a strong cattle entry, as well as over 100 pigs and 900 sheep: “We have good numbers in all sheep and pig breeds, so the event offers a fantastic chance for existing breeders to replenish blood lines or new breeders to get started”, say Libby Henson from organisers Grassroots Systems Ltd.

The Dexter semen is being offered by Robert Key, who dispersed the family’s Canwell herd a couple of years ago and has decided to offer the remaining semen as well:
“These bulls were very famous in their day and have produced some top quality daughters over the years. The breed society holds stocks of semen from some of them, but not all, so this is a unique opportunity for breeders”, he said.

Semen from eight bulls is included, these being Sarum Bullrush; Sarum Duster Dale; Knotting Saturn; Canwell Buster; Canwell Satan; Templeton Irresistable; Donard Grange Rob and Melbry Duster.
Catalogues for the event can be obtained from Melton Mowbray Market Auctioneers, Melton Mowbray Market, Scalford Road, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire (01664 562971) or downloaded from www.grassroots.co.uk/melton.html
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
ann

Post by ann »

Current charges from Genus for storage is £7.95 per month plus vat
which is probably why Robert has decided to sell his stored semen, i must admit I have a few very old straws I might think about selling them if these go for a good price as I'm getting rather fed up of the costs of storage.

AI costs for your own semen is £37.50 plus vat

:?
debra wiltshire

Post by debra wiltshire »

Im still hving difficulty loading the catalogue...is anyone else or is it just me?
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Here's a direct link to the Dexter catalogue, maybe that'll work?

Edited … Just removed the direct link because it's been used for something else.
Last edited by Broomcroft on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clive
debra wiltshire

Post by debra wiltshire »

thanks! got it now
Debra Wiltshire
Cosmos Dexters,
Lincs/Leics border