More TV coverage

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Pennielea

More TV coverage

Post by Pennielea »

Have a look at your TV guide for the week ahead and you will see that James Martin is presenting a new programme 'Food map' at 6.30 pm BBC2 every day.

The Friday 20th programme will feature Dexter cattle here in N.Ireland and especially the high quality of the beef they produce with some spectacular photography. My listing suggests that the entire programme is devoted to Dexters but my inside knowledge suggests it will be for only 15 minutes. How much would you pay for advertising on national television for 15 minutes?

I have also heard that the closing remarks may be advice to the public 'to go out and buy Dexter beef tomorrow'

To all those attending Carlisle sale I recommend that you go into 'The Auctioneer' turn on the big screen and revel in the publicity and then enjoy the sale on Saturday. I would give similar advice to those in Stirling but I do not know the local Hostelry there but I am sure you can figure it out.

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Rob R

Re: More TV coverage

Post by Rob R »

Interesting, I decided to look it up on the BBC website and they have a picture of Jersey Cattle where Dexters should be!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

a 2nd opertunity to use the hard disc recorder i bought for the countryfile coverage of last years melton mowbray show & sale.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

Remember tonight at 6.30pm BBC 2

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Absolutely brilliant, well done Ian and co.
Clive
Jac

Post by Jac »

Viewers to Wales were treated to Rugby instead of this programme. Thank goodness for satellite TV!

What brilliant publicity for the breed. Got a bit worried when he referred to the 'wildness' of the Dexter however, a balanced view was restored when they showed them haltered and tied.

Couldn't really understand the constant reference to 'gamey' flavour due to the fact that it had been fed a grass based diet rather than the length of time it has been hung.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

good program, and he is live on one show now cooking dexter again.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
LISA

Post by LISA »

Fantastic programme. Thank you for bringing it to our attention Ian.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It's available on www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer if, like me, you weren't able to watch it on tv. I did, however, catch the previous night's programme where he was at Edradour in Scotland, also worth watching if you didn't see it.
GEE TEE

Post by GEE TEE »

The programe is repeated on Sunday lunchtime if you switch on at 1-15 pm you should be just in time to see the Dexters again
Robert & Alison Kirk

Post by Robert & Alison Kirk »

Fantastic coverage and with native grass fed beef generally in demand excellent timing. Hopefully prices at Carlisle for Dexters will improve on recent Dexter sales where prices have been far less than cull values. I suspect many of these cattle being sold at recent auctions are probably going for slaughter with the purchaser making quite a profit. Something needs to move forward; with more and more people wanting steers for slaughter, we need the cows to produce the calves in the first instance and with breeders such as ourselves regularly closed down through TB and having to slaughter heifers as well, the future does not bode well for the Dexter which produces far superior beef to any other breed!

From our own point of view, the programme was well received as we're taking our beef to a local food festival on Sunday 22nd. Had a good day in May when we sold half Dexter and ran out of beef about half an hour before the end, so taking more this time. We shall see what happens!!!

Best wishes
Alison Kirk
Boram Dexters
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It's no good hoping that auction prices will improve if you're sat on your hands at the sale.

My trouble is that I don't have a lot of cash available, so I'm hoping for cheap heifers so I can keep more of them breeding, so it's not all bad for the breed if prices are on the low side.
ann

Post by ann »

missed the program re dexters in ireland so have just watched it on iplayer, what a lovely herd of dexters. if you missed it go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... n_Ireland/
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

The James Martin programme is repeated tomorrow on BBC 1 at 3.45 pm Beef sales have continued to grow steadily since the programme was first Broadcast in September particularly with exports from N.Ireland to GB. We should get another boost tomorrow

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Builth

Post by Builth »

Hi,
On my sky planner BBC2 NI has a programme called Wild Brazil tomorrow 3pm can you help please. :)