Disappointing

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Broomcroft

Re: Disappointing

Post by Broomcroft »

Many thanks for the offer of regs Jac, but life is too short :). I shouldn't have asked!

And these regs are developed by people who can't tell a horse from a cow :).

My point about pedigree/birth notification was that even though the parents may be controlled by PV (not applicable to all or even most pedigree breeds), the offspring could be from another breed of bull and still be birth notified, that may happen by accident. Obviously, you can't PV'ing fat stock, at some point you have to call it day and rely on trust. But the legislation does I suppose mean that someone can be challenged and brought to account if they are cheating. So that's good, in theory at least.
Clive
Jac

Post by Jac »

No, they've been developed because the public cannot tell whether it is horse or beef in the bag.

I do think that these rules (made up to generate jobs for people and revenue for the government?) are very silly surely one is innocent until proven guilty i.e. if someone arrives at your door from the government and what you claim to be selling is not Dexter (if that is what you are claiming it is) then they should hit you with an eye watering fine and lock you up. Assuming of course that you are the person that cut and packed the beef in the bag.
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Isnt it all just crap!

my rule of thumb is you do as you want and if collared plead stupid farmer. if you worried about this shite you would do nothing!

i am still selling Dexter beef :)
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

......selling is not Dexter (if that is what you are claiming it is) then they should hit you with an eye watering fine and lock you up.
Well, they didn't manage that too successfully when it came to horse and beef did they?
Tim
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I totally agree Dom and after all.......you ARE selling Dexter Beef!

However the nice man with the Horse Meat WAS selling Horse Meat not beef!!!

Ah....but of course he has a very big company....so that is OK then isn't it, it was probably a genuine mistake, it can happen to anyone......perhaps we should do a little survey and see how many adults can tell the difference between a cow and a horse??? :wink:

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Boofarm

Post by Boofarm »

robin walker wrote:Both sales Carlisle and Stirling have come and gone for another year and from what i can read between the lines prices for pedigree breeding stock was very disappointing . I know from attending Stirling , prices were horrible , I for one brought cows home and did not accept the hammer price .
Attention now much be for all of us to look to the future and get the prices for good Dexters reaching a much higher level .
I don't know why buyers feel that pedigree registered stock should only be bought at unacceptable prices , but you know they are not to blame it is those of us selling the cattle that are at fault letting our cattle go . Until we take a stand and turn the cattle out the ring and load them back in the trailer taking them home we will never achieve a more realistic rate .
I know what many are saying that's all right if you are not running to capacity , for many their cattle must go .
Dexter beef has never been so much in demand and when the restauranteur's are looking for it , when the public are paying for it , why should those of us breeding accept the price at the mart ?.
I am I wrong ? , if so what's your thoughts ?.
While I imagine that the reasoning was beyond anyone's control it is very disappointing that two sales of Dexter cattle take place on the same day with a fair degree of overlap in both seller and buyer catchment areas.

I would suggest that prices are low because there is in reality little demand for the cattle - if Dexter beef is in demand can I ask where that demand is? I am not aware of any outlet I can put live cattle through and get any kind of sensible price and would be glad to hear of any outlet I can place cattle into.

We entered two animals into Carlisle and brought both of them home but we can only dispose of so many privately and I am glad to have obtained a Galloway bull to put in with our little ladies this year.

Cheers
mac
I used to be a farmer but I don't owe anybody anything now - Henry Brewis
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Boofarm wrote:I would suggest that prices are low because there is in reality little demand for the cattle
That's the most succinct and accurate reply so far.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Boofarm wrote:
While I imagine that the reasoning was beyond anyone's control it is very disappointing that two sales of Dexter cattle take place on the same day with a fair degree of overlap in both seller and buyer catchment areas.

I would suggest that prices are low because there is in reality little demand for the cattle - if Dexter beef is in demand can I ask where that demand is? I am not aware of any outlet I can put live cattle through and get any kind of sensible price and would be glad to hear of any outlet I can place cattle into.

We entered two animals into Carlisle and brought both of them home but we can only dispose of so many privately and I am glad to have obtained a Galloway bull to put in with our little ladies this year.

Cheers
mac
Re: would suggest that prices are low because there is in reality little demand for the cattle -
No, I do not believe that is true - some people's cattle are in demand not everyone wants to go to an auction although you do say you have tried to sell them privately see last comment.

Re: if Dexter beef is in demand can I ask where that demand is?
Ask yourself how many advertisements (private) in newspapers/magazines have you seen for Dexter beef? Then ask yourself why this is?

Hint I believe it has little to do with advertising costs.

Re: am not aware of any outlet I can put live cattle through and get any kind of sensible price and would be glad to hear of any outlet I can place cattle into.
Perhaps you are in the wrong breed but if Galloway are popular with commercial farmers in your area that seems a good solution.

Re: we can only dispose of so many privately
How did you get yourself into this position? This is a serious question - I am not being 'funny' here I seek only to know what motivated you to breed more.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:
Boofarm wrote:

Cheers
mac
Re: would suggest that prices are low because there is in reality little demand for the cattle -
No, I do not believe that is true - some people's cattle are in demand not everyone wants to go to an auction although you do say you have tried to sell them privately see last comment.
In other words Dexters are not in demand, but some people have created a demand for their Dexters.

If only there were a way to collate all the prices of private sales - perhaps that is something to society could/should do. The only problem being that it might end up that people only report when they get good prices and the average looks artificially high. The trouble is that auctions are currently our only public way of publishing prices so it is within the breed's interest to have good cattle (by 'good' I mean the one's that fetch the higher prices) sold by auction.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote:
In other words Dexters are not in demand, but some people have created a demand for their Dexters.
Yes and No. For some, the Dexter is the ideal breed they wouldn't want anything else and they have made it work for them. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Rob R wrote: If only there were a way to collate all the prices of private sales
Why? Dexters are a unique breed and encourage diverse ownership. Farmers farm to live and survive in an industry they understand and have adapted over generations. Some Dexter owners are new to the farming environment and if they flounder (for whatever reason)'the venture didn't work, sell the Dexters at any cost and move onto something else' See Blezenger's article.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Jac wrote:
Rob R wrote:
Yes and No. For some, the Dexter is the ideal breed they wouldn't want anything else and they have made it work for them. One man's meat is another man's poison.
Undoubtedly, there is a demand, but that's not the same as being in demand, ie being more in demand than they are in supply.
Jac wrote:
Rob R wrote: If only there were a way to collate all the prices of private sales
Why? Dexters are a unique breed and encourage diverse ownership. Farmers farm to live and survive in an industry they understand and have adapted over generations. Some Dexter owners are new to the farming environment and if they flounder (for whatever reason)'the venture didn't work, sell the Dexters at any cost and move onto something else' See Blezenger's article.
Why? Because, as you say, some people sell their stock for good money, but they do it privately. The only published prices, currently, are the ones at auction. If breeders aren't willing to attend auctions to drive the prices up then the Dexter prices will always look disproportionately low.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote:
Why? Because, as you say, some people sell their stock for good money, but they do it privately. The only published prices, currently, are the ones at auction. If breeders aren't willing to attend auctions to drive the prices up then the Dexter prices will always look disproportionately low.
I agree, they do it privately. Some of the farming community are so entrenched in the auction system that they cannot see any other way. Why support auctions? Is it not time to move on?

Undoubtedly, there is a demand, but that's not the same as being in demand, ie being more in demand than they are in supply.

That is down to a situation where marketing and sales were out of kilter and the legacy of expanding niche markets. A joined up strategy was required at the outset. It is not a matter of life or death to some people, the majority of Dexter owners are not going to starve just because nobody buys what have bred. It just isn't priority for some.
Last edited by Jac on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Auctions are intrinsically fair and open to public scrutiny. It's not just farmers that use auctions - look at the success of ebay.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Also, prices at auction can be very good, how many times you you hear of a 10,000 gm private sale? They also lead to private sales, if purchasors get the chance to see an example of a herd's breeding at auction they will go back home & contact the breeder to buy at a later date.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Rob R wrote:Auctions are intrinsically fair and open to public scrutiny. It's not just farmers that use auctions - look at the success of ebay.
Some folk will have a made to measure suit others will buy one at Asda.

and now I must go and cook the dinner or my stockman will go on strike!