York Rare Breeds Show & Sale - 4/5th October 2013

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rob R

Re: York Rare Breeds Show & Sale - 4/5th October 2013

Post by Rob R »

The patterns are plain to see in what the market wants - fewer bulls, more steers, regular breeding pedigree cows and/or cows with calves at foot or heifers (not in calf gives a bigger market, particularly in unregistered stock as it gives the buyers more options). In previous years I've noticed less difference in the price of registered and unregistered stock, but this year there seems to be more of a differential. Is that because the beef labelling scheme is now in operation, perhaps?

In autumn cows, particularly those not in calf or not feeding a calf should be in good body condition, as few can afford the added cost of fattening cows up over winter - that's a cheap Spring/Summer grass job, so they'll wait until the Spring sales.

Like I said above though, this year has been challenging on the back of 2012, with stock still suffering the effects of last winter & not really catching up after the slow start in Spring. Now is the time to start making plans to ensure that you're ready when the market does rise again, but build some flexibility in so that you're producing more of what the market wants and less of what it doesn't want. Think & act positively and don't expect someone else to sort the market out.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

A national sales make more sense to to the small market for Dexters, but how can you go to anything other than regional sales. My transport license only covers me for 100km radius as the crow flies?

Even most of the regional ones are out of my range?

Or have I got something wrong?
Clive
Jac

Post by Jac »

Broomcroft wrote:A national sales make more sense to to the small market for Dexters, but how can you go to anything other than regional sales. My transport license only covers me for 100km radius as the crow flies?

Even most of the regional ones are out of my range?

Or have I got something wrong?
I've got the 8 hour one but there is a limit to how much rattling and rolling I can stand in a historic landrover.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Jac wrote:I've got the 8 hour one but there is a limit to how much rattling and rolling I can stand in a historic landrover.
That's the one I've got, maybe it doesn't have a mileage limit? I think you're right.

But I think I've remembered what going on in my head, and it's Tachos. From my awful memory, you can only go up to 100km (as the magic crow flies) without a tacho. But if your historic vehicle is more than so old (25 years?), then there's no limit, same if you tow with a normal tractor, no limit. Another one of those amazing rules :!:.
Clive
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

based on how we valued them compared to our ten year old first dexter cow who was culled two weeks ago we took our cow and in calf heifers home from York, didn't realise till reading the prices above that they where actually the highest priced cattle.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

Just to say Lot 86 was sold, to a new breeder who will pay the registration fee. Yes, the prices were dire and I did bring one bull home, if he keeps getting placed at shows, he'll earn his keep in prize money, cover a couple of cows and a freezer full of excellent beef next autumn.
The last times I've brought cattle home were the year the BSE crisis imploded and the year after F&M.
I would say that there were some very plain cattle there. The stock in the pen next to mine were given no water and were stealing hay that mine weren't eating as soiled and they had fresh. Also cows going into the ring were trying to steal a bite on the way past. Hardly relaxed and contented animals presenting themselves to the buyers.
There was a total absence of classic short-leg females, so nothing for potential showing buyers. Since the demise of the Knotting herd, does any vendor get a cow to stand in the sale ring for milk to be drawn? Always a good sales point for the smallholder wanting a house cow.
I will be getting my life back next year, so will be beefing my own stock again. Running 2 bull calves & 2 steer calves this year has been a good reminder of how quickly bull beef finishes, 9 months from birth to freezer if the dam is a good milker.
There were some cows I liked but sadly all unregistered so no good to me.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

Makes tough reading!

it must be hard selling at those prices, when youve done all the work.i would have beefed them all for that sort of money. if only i could be bothered to drive around these sales i could make a few quid.
but its sad that some people are losing so much on them.

dom
TomGDexters

Post by TomGDexters »

I have to agree with Rob R really on this one, We have had Dexters now for around five years and have never struggle as much to sell cattle as this years. It has not been an easy decision but certainly for the minute we are now going to cross half of our cows to a Beef Shorthorn bull to try and give us some semi-commercial cattle that we can turn into quick cash when needed. We are for the minute going to keep our Pedigree Dexter stock bull, as we would hate to sell him in haste and then regret it. I attended York on Saturday and was extremely glad I didn't I take anything as the one I had in mind wouldn't even have broken even. On the plus side I managed to buy the prize winning shorthorn bull which were chuffed to bits with.

On other little observation from Saturday, when it came to loading up time its was absolute chaos, with above half the loading bays blocked by parked cars.

Tom
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

domsmith wrote:if only i could be bothered to drive around these sales i could make a few quid.

dom
If everyone who said that actually went out there are did it the 'problem' would be solved overnight.
Adding up the prices the grand total would have been about £14,000 to have bought everything Dexter in the sale. In reality you would hardly make your money back after you'd travelled down, paid for a wagon back, waited for the in-calf ones to calve and wean, all the extra feed and bills etc. That's why the prices are as they are in the first place.

As Louisa said, a lot of cattle would have benefitted from five minutes with a brush and a pair of scissors to clip the tails out. It wouldn't have brought the prices up much, but it'd pay for itself. Some hay and water before the sale to reduce the stress might have meant buyers ended up with more work to do washing the trailers, but they would have presented better to the buyers. I took sheep home in the first load to save having to do a deep cleanse but as it happened the shavings from the cattle were as clean as from the sheep. I went out to check the new arrivals at night and looking at them, after they'd had a belly full of silage, I know I would have bid a bit higher!
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

TomGDexters wrote:On other little observation from Saturday, when it came to loading up time its was absolute chaos, with above half the loading bays blocked by parked cars.

Tom
I've learned from previous experience to load up either first, or last - sale ends, cup of tea in disposable cup and get in line, and then you're loading while everyone else is still lined up to pay.
Boofarm

Post by Boofarm »

At an average of 150 pounds for unregistered cows and not much more for registered I am surprised that someone is not taking them for crossing - there has to be a return on the cows at that price surely (for the buyer).

Why on earth would anyone keep an unregistered bull entire :?:
I used to be a farmer but I don't owe anybody anything now - Henry Brewis
Jac

Post by Jac »

Boofarm wrote:At an average of 150 pounds for unregistered cows and not much more for registered I am surprised that someone is not taking them for crossing - there has to be a return on the cows at that price surely (for the buyer).

Why on earth would anyone keep an unregistered bull entire :?:

'an average of 150 pounds for unregistered cows and not much more for registered'

How much is it to register a bull now with all the DNA testing?
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

65.00 for 18 month old bull, 25.00 for mum, not yet proven, birth notified when got him, but temprement excellent. still p.o about york prices due to cows being regd, in calf and quiet, on the plus side i wont have as much work in winter, thats why they went, wont be taking anymore to york, I keep blue texels and they make 10 times better money :) :) jean
j.nuttall
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Don't blame the cattle or the buyers, it's the sellers willing to sell at that price. I can't understand why. If sales are no good, don't take them. Cull price for a cow average say £350 unless they're tiny ones, and no fuss or bother either. For a medium sized bull £850? Not sure, haven't taken one for some time but prices are higher now than when I last took one.

Our cull abattoir requires Farm Assured livestock, but do they all? I don't think so but not certain.

Reading these threads all the time, I reckon people go because they enjoy the day, can't think of another reason other than to buy!
Clive
TomGDexters

Post by TomGDexters »

I have to agree with boomcroft if people would stop dropping their trousers on the price of these cattle it would make it better for us all, surely when you look at the cost of rearing and keep they are just blowing money hand over fist? This is why we are looking down the cross bredding route, but if there was a good price/demand for these cattle i would happily expand the herd.

Tom