dexters on TV again (northern Ireland)

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
SteveM

dexters on TV again (northern Ireland)

Post by SteveM »

dont think the program is broadcast in england but dexters are going to be on BBC in northern ireland on 21st October

http://www.ballymenatimes.com/what-s-on ... -1-5572204
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Broomcroft

Re: dexters on TV again (northern Ireland)

Post by Broomcroft »

Again! I think they should start a series :).
Clive
Lerryn

Post by Lerryn »

Try sky channel 953.
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

I have just watched the programme. Once again a brilliant promotion of flavour and quality of Dexter beef in direct comparison with A.Angus and Galloway. Also seeing it being launched in top restaurants in London. Unfortunately the only criticism of the beef, a rib eye steak, occurred in that section and was not subsequently clarified.

Well worth a watch if you can find it on I-player and repeated on BBC2 NI tomorrow Tues 22nd

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Is there any way we can see this in England Ian?

Re the criticism, you get variation in any beef of any breed, it's not always the same as we all, in the trade, know. I've had a fillet off a pure Dexter heifer. The one end was simply beyond belief, absolute stunning flavour. But the rest was just normal although it all looked the same!
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Clive's right re: criticism. I slaughtered a tup lamb last year and a customer returned the meat on the basis that it tasted bad (they'd eaten a half shoulder joint). I contacted other customers and they'd had no issues with the other side, and then the leg went on to win a taste award.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Rob R wrote:Clive's right re: criticism. I slaughtered a tup lamb last year and a customer returned the meat on the basis that it tasted bad (they'd eaten a half shoulder joint). I contacted other customers and they'd had no issues with the other side, and then the leg went on to win a taste award.
Maybe it was a lamb who ran around in circles so the one side became tough :mrgreen:. Or maybe it was the customer's taste buds were up the swanny, or their cooking! No, can't be as the customer is always right, so must have been running round in circles.
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It was the taste, rather than the texture that they had an issue with, but I had a hunch that they were hoping for a refund and keeping the meat. It certainly tasted good to me, but as you say, the customer is always right.
Colin

Post by Colin »

The programme is on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_2/

Regards,

Colin
Colin Williams
Cwmdrysien Herd
New Forest
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

thanks for the link, shame the program isn't shown in England though. would be nice to hear how the local publicity pans out for the farm shop.

highlights what I think has been discussed at local group meetings here in the past, to get into any major restaurant chain needs a lot of animals and the expertise to provide the cuts in the quantity, and to the quality they need.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Having just watched the programme I wasn't particularly impressed by Nick Hewer's input, when compared to the usual 'fixer' programmes. It came across as more of an advert than a problem that needed fixing.

The chef who criticised the ribeye didn't seem very knowledgeable - it's small because it's a pure breed? So is a South Devon but you don't get small steaks from them. And maybe it was the editing but he appeared to cook a ribeye the same way as a sirloin & was disappointed with the toughness? That's the difference between the fore & hindquarters.