Thwarted plans!

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Tim Watson

Thwarted plans!

Post by Tim Watson »

Having hoped very hard (looked east, lit a candle and anything else that we thought would work), we ended up with one heifer calf, two bull calves and blank so our 'organic' herd growth ideas have been thwarted.
We would really like to build a nucleus of Wodmagic stock before we start branching out, which I think we will be forced to do as the WM bulls become increasingly limited.
If any one knows of any WM stock that is either for sale or may be being considered to be, could they let me know?
Thanks
Tim
Broomcroft

Re: Thwarted plans!

Post by Broomcroft »

Tough luck Tim. We've had mainly heifers for 2 years running, hardly any steers and of course all we want is steers! Going to be AI'ing next year and seriously thinking about sexed semen.
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

For our first six years of breeding Dexters we had a 3:1 male to female ratio, then a couple of years of 1:1, then a few years of 1:3, and the last couple of years we've been back to 3:1.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

And in our first year, up to about 20 calves, all the females were red and all the make were black. I really thought something genetic was happening! It made sorting them out ever so easy :).

Tim, how about using the online herd book for cattle with WM prefix and phoning round?
Clive
ann

Post by ann »

Life never seems to take any notice of our requirements I asked for all steers and I'm having a heifer year sorry no woodmagic or I would have done a swap if you had been closer :) :)
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Might you be selling some heifers Ann?