Dexters on countryfile

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
SteveM

Dexters on countryfile

Post by SteveM »

just caught the end of countryfile item about dexters in southern Ireland, looks like more excellent publicity for the breed,

repeated at 01.45 on the 18th on BBC 2

now on iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ock_Chase/
Last edited by SteveM on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Rob R

Re: Dexters on countryfile

Post by Rob R »

Indeed. I've yet to catch it on iPlayer but I've already had a couple of enquiries about beef tonight :)
ann

Post by ann »

One thing I found interesting about the coverage was that unless I just missed them, I didn't see any calves, although there was a bull running with them.
Lovely to see so many dexters back in Ireland, lovely countryside to and it wasn't raining :) :)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

Well done Paddy if you're reading this :).
Clive
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I managed to watch it last night - was wondering how efficient the hydropnics really was though. He claimed it was a low input system but the only input it avoids is free (sunlight) and you still have to rely on importing grain and straw to feed the animals, so it sounds like it would be dependant upon cheap grain. At least if you are feeding them grain you can put them through a still first and get a decent drink or some fuel out of it.
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I was doubtful about that as well Rob. Looked into it a few years back and they skipped over all the difficulties and made it sound easy.

First you need treated grain, the equipment and storage was expensive. The output you require would be huge. Even for 50 Dexters like he has, you would need the equivalent of 2 x 4' well-packed round bales every day if that was all they were getting. Then, because it's wet, you'd get a lot of runny cattle IMO. And finally, the handling is not that easy and would take ages the way they showed it in the program. People do it though, but as I understand, only when there's little else they can do, like in the Australian outback etc.

Maybe things have changed since I last looked? Great idea if you can get over the problems.
Clive
pudser

Post by pudser »

Thanks Clive

I have not really been on this board for a long time.

We had a great day with Adfam and crew.
Steve uses the sprouter and is delighted with it as He does not have any ground suitable for silage or even hay.It saves him buying in fodder during the winter.It also facilitates outdoor feeding with roads etc.Bales in ring feeders make stock very dependant and lazy when outside.With the sprouter they come eat and forage.
The imported nutrients in the grain help improve his land and it has but He has a long road ahead.

I am happy to put my stock in mid December and start to let them out in Feb.It's really horses for courses .I know He sourced the grain on the program locally in Kerry and it seems fine.

When you live a long way from arable areas and are farming organically on marginal land there are not many alternatives.

Cheers

P

p.s. The calves were camera shy!