Twins

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
robin walker

Twins

Post by robin walker »

My black Ashieburn cow has just produced two lovely twin red calves AI to Planetree Talos . Both are very healthy , not that it's a down side but they are heifer and bull . As we know if a heifer is twined with a bull calf the heifer is normally infertile .
Duncan MacIntyre has told me that this is 1/25 that the heifer may take , I just wondered if anyone having had mixed twins if the heifer went on to produce ?.
domsmith

Re: Twins

Post by domsmith »

When we were raising dairy veal calves i had several heifers sold to me by the dairy farmers as they were free martins. me being me, i love dairy cows so used to keep them on to see what they did. i had 2 that held the bull and were sold back to the dairy farmers in calf, they loved that!!
i had some that were udderless and clearly infertile.

dominic
Kate

Post by Kate »

Congratulations - can we have a photo !!!!!!

kate
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

We had a few sets of twins, all the females were freemartins. One in twenty are Ok I was told. One advantage, they keep the cow fit :)

Clive
ann

Post by ann »

nice to hear from you again clive I thought you had deserted the dexters :)
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

ann wrote:nice to hear from you again clive I thought you had deserted the dexters :)
Not deserting Dexters Ann, but we are coming out of cattle this year and going sheep only. Just down to a few old ones now except a couple of exceptionally nice crosses which I'll try and sell in the autumn rather than cull them if I can.
Clive
ann

Post by ann »

How can you desert our lovely breed for sheep :(
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

All this talk of twins made me think we were getting some the other day, when a decent sized cow with a large belly calved a small calf but, alas, there was nothing else in there. But it was a heifer, so I was relieved about that.