Cattle Sign

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
cairnhill

Cattle Sign

Post by cairnhill »

I'm looking for some advice on signs for fields where we have cattle with young calves and a stock bull, where the field has a footpath. We have a number of areas that are very scenic with regular visitors even regular tourist coaches during the summer. To stress, we have not had any problem and all the Dexters are very good natured, however things can easily change if a dog it let loose near young calves. Has anyone got any suggestions for the wording of a sign, I believe that it cannot be a warning sign as to warn people identifies that you know that you have an issue and could be held liable.
Saffy

Re: Cattle Sign

Post by Saffy »

My sign simply states - BULL IN FIELD.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Jac

Post by Jac »

I have a 'bull in field' sign too and we are double fenced. There is a public right of way on the boundary of our land but I avoid putting the bull in that field just in case someone's dog manages to get through the fence and they try to retrieve it.

It is worth checking the terms of your public liability insurance since I found out that I was not insured :oops: I got caught out for non declaration for although the cattle are enclosed either in buildings or in our fields which the public do not have access to, the mere fact that visitors came onto our driveway to get access to the house invalidated our insurance! Luckily I found this out before there was an incident but it just goes to show if insurance companies can riggle out of liability they will.
GEE TEE

Post by GEE TEE »

cairnhill wrote:I'm looking for some advice on signs for fields where we have cattle with young calves and a stock bull, where the field has a footpath. We have a number of areas that are very scenic with regular visitors even regular tourist coaches during the summer. To stress, we have not had any problem and all the Dexters are very good natured, however things can easily change if a dog it let loose near young calves. Has anyone got any suggestions for the wording of a sign, I believe that it cannot be a warning sign as to warn people identifies that you know that you have an issue and could be held liable.
New Livestock Worrying Sign available free of charge.
If you would like some of these signs, please send a stamped self addressed envelope to
F G Take The Lead, Farmers Guardian, Unit 4 Fulwood Buisness Park, Preston Lancashire, PR2 9NZ
Please include an A4 envelope with at least three first or seconed class stamp on to cover postage costs
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

cairnhill wrote:I'm looking for some advice on signs for fields where we have cattle with young calves and a stock bull, where the field has a footpath. We have a number of areas that are very scenic with regular visitors even regular tourist coaches during the summer. To stress, we have not had any problem and all the Dexters are very good natured, however things can easily change if a dog it let loose near young calves. Has anyone got any suggestions for the wording of a sign, I believe that it cannot be a warning sign as to warn people identifies that you know that you have an issue and could be held liable.
I thought you weren't allowed to have cows with young calves in a field with a public right of way! Not a matter of a sign. Not 100% sure what "young" is defined as but we always keep them elsewhere. If the bull is with cows, he shouldn't be a problem.
Clive
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Crikey Clive...surely you are allowed to keep cows and calves on a public right of way! If not I can't have any calves!!! All of my fields bar a few very tiny ones, under 2 acres have rights of way. I must check this but it would basically stop some folks from farming suckler cows.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Yes, you can keep and calves on footpaths, all our own fields have paths running through them. We had a problem last year when the new calvers were in a field adjacent to a lane with a footpath running along it - I had to advise the country code on the local notice board that Dexters take no prisoners in defending their calves. We also have walkers who just set out with their dogs across the middle of private fields, a big and growing problem for sheep & cattle health.
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Oh yes Rob it certainly is... I watched a "lady" a year or so ago wandering through a neighbours wheat fields, near to harvest as well...meandering here and there with her children and dog, making different pathways, she then set up camp for a picnic in my grassfield but not near a footpath. I went and had a gentle word with her. She had no idea that she had vandalized a crop, or that she was on private land.... she thought the right to roam meant anywhere as so many do, it needs to be re worded and people need to be educated for the sake, livelihood and sanity of the farmer!!!

I allowed her to finish her picnic and told her where the nearest footpath was she had a very long walk back to her car!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
Broomcroft

Post by Broomcroft »

I'll try and dig out what I'm thinking of. HSE have a recommendation that you do not keep recently calved cows, or cows about to calve in a field with public right of way but I have it in my head that you aren't supposed to keep any animal that you think might be dangerous in such a field? Anyhow, that's what we've always done. I personally would never have young calves and cows in a footpath field.

PS (edited). Here's an HSE document with recommendations: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais17ew.pdf. There is also a DEFRA one somewhere if you Google it; can't remember whether it's the same or not but I think it was.
Clive
davidw

Post by davidw »

I had some signs made up - They say Cows in Field - No Dogs. There were no footpaths across our fields but that didn't seem to bother walkers. There is an ancient cross in a nearby piece of woodland and many people seem to think they can take any route they choose to reach it.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

A slightly different perspective from up here on Skye - there are currently at least two Shorthorn bulls on the common grazings near me, which means they can wander anywhere, over roads, footpaths, gardens (if you leave a gate open), and there is no signage. And we can't keep tourists out of any fields because of the Land Reform Act (Scotland) 2003 :(