aberdeen angus on a dexter heifer

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
sues

aberdeen angus on a dexter heifer

Post by sues »

Last year we AI'd our cows with aberdeen angus and the results have been very good, we have a farm shop so it made sense to try for a slighlty bigger carcass without compromising flavour and quality. I have a pure bred heifer who is 18 months old and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it will be ok to put an easy calf angus on her or should I stick to dexter for her first calf?? Thanks
Boofarm

Re: aberdeen angus on a dexter heifer

Post by Boofarm »

We put a galloway bull over a good sized heifer this year, needed a pull come calving. If you are able to keep a good eye on her and provide assistance if necessary it should be ok

Cheers
mac
I used to be a farmer but I don't owe anybody anything now - Henry Brewis
Broomcroft

Re: aberdeen angus on a dexter heifer

Post by Broomcroft »

We've done about 150 Angus X Dexter calves but only 4 to heifers. 3 were fine and the other had one of the biggest calves of all, just a unfortunate coincidence. It was OK but needed a vet out to help (mainly because it was 3 a.m. and -14C in the shed and I was very tired) and we used a jack for the first and only time ever.

I'd say it's a borderline decision, but personally I'd use a non-short Dexter bull for heifers. That's what we used to do.
Clive