Feisty dexters

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Fen Farm Dexters

Feisty dexters

Post by Fen Farm Dexters »

After another annual session yesterday with the vet castrating/dehorning calves, and the vet amazed at how fast and feisty dexter calves are for their size etc, and telling me how no other native breed is remotely like this, why is it we have not bred this trait out?

Is it possible to select bulls for calmer calf temperament?
Rob R

Re: Feisty dexters

Post by Rob R »

I select my bulls for calmer adult temperament, but I tend to call the feisty-ness of calves 'survivability'. I guess we could breed it out but then we'd not be unique and the breed would become a little less hardy.
ann

Post by ann »

After another annual session yesterday with the vet castrating/dehorning calves, and the vet amazed at how fast and feisty dexter calves are for their size etc,
Dexters are great survivors, I'm not sure I would be very impressed with the above operations either,, :) :) however they do seem to be much more sensative as commercials just don't seem to bother, I put rubber rings on mine when they are born and that certainly does not seem to bother them, where as commercials seem to be more sensitive to this practice. :( You do need to make sure if you use this method that both testicles are down, other wise its a no no
Boofarm

Post by Boofarm »

ann wrote:
After another annual session yesterday with the vet castrating/dehorning calves, and the vet amazed at how fast and feisty dexter calves are for their size etc,
Dexters are great survivors, I'm not sure I would be very impressed with the above operations either,, :) :) however they do seem to be much more sensative as commercials just don't seem to bother, I put rubber rings on mine when they are born and that certainly does not seem to bother them, where as commercials seem to be more sensitive to this practice. :( You do need to make sure if you use this method that both testicles are down, other wise its a no no

I find with ours it is also important to keep a weather eye open for mum since she may well take umbrage, you don't realise how difficult it can be to get out of a whin bush until you arrive by air! :)

Tagging calves really should be an Olympic Sport

Cheers
mac
I used to be a farmer but I don't owe anybody anything now - Henry Brewis
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Whew that sounds a bit too much fun for me Mac!

When I tag mine I usually shove the calf up into the corner of the crush, that way I know the Mum can't get at me and I can concentrate on getting the tag in straight and leaving growing space, without worrying about being squashed. Most of mine ignore the proceedings, even if we are dehorning but there is one that gets hot and bothered if her calf bellows and really I don't blame her, after all I want them to look after the calves.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

A large proportion of cattle behaviour is learned. Obviously there is some genetic influence too, but by and large the calmer you handle cattle of any breed, the easier life is. Even commercial milking Friesian/Holsteins can be absolutely dreadful to handle if the general standard of handling on the farm is rough. The facilities also play a part, if they are badly designed with awkward corners and chicanes, requiring force to get them through and brute force is used, the bad behaviour ramps up a few degrees. To a great extent behaviour problems become self perpetuating, because once the cattle are having to be forced unwillingly into situations, and they know a few avoidance tactics, it just gets worse and worse. And calves really follow the cows' behaviour, so frightened cows will inevitably rear frightened calves.

When it comes to tagging I have learned that if I do not tag a calf the first time I see it after it is born, I will not be able to catch it without a chase or bringing them in - so as soon as I see a calf on the ground I approach with the tagger. I would of course advise others to be cautious near newly calved cows, but I can honestly say in all the years I have worked with Dexters I have NEVER felt in danger from a cow.

When it comes to moving from one field to another or bringing them in for handling I much prefer to lead from the front rather than chase them around, and despite the fact that mine are never fed any concentrates even as titbits they will usually assemble when I whistle and shout "come away" just as I heard my father shout when I was a boy.

I see large numbers of beef herds handled today in a fashion that can only produce frightened wild beasts. I do enjoy being able to walk close to my cattle in the field and to move amongst them when penned with no fear on either part.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Duncan MacIntyre wrote:I see large numbers of beef herds handled today in a fashion that can only produce frightened wild beasts. I do enjoy being able to walk close to my cattle in the field and to move amongst them when penned with no fear on either part.

Duncan
I had an experience with handling a neighbours suckler herd, containing a Limousin bull, recently. Despite being around cattle all my life he was very scary, particularly when confined, even with 6ft hurdles. I couldn't imagine keeping cattle that size that are difficult to handle and I certainly wouldn't have had him in a field if he were mine (some of the cows weren't much better, neither).
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Rob R wrote:
Duncan MacIntyre wrote:I see large numbers of beef herds handled today in a fashion that can only produce frightened wild beasts. I do enjoy being able to walk close to my cattle in the field and to move amongst them when penned with no fear on either part.

Duncan
I had an experience with handling a neighbours suckler herd, containing a Limousin bull, recently. Despite being around cattle all my life he was very scary, particularly when confined, even with 6ft hurdles. I couldn't imagine keeping cattle that size that are difficult to handle and I certainly wouldn't have had him in a field if he were mine (some of the cows weren't much better, neither).
A few years back a neighbour asked me to take a pic of his Limousin bull at Monmouth Show, it was the biggest Lim bull I'd ever seen. I was delighted until he went to untie him and he started to growl!!! If it had been a dog I'd have expected it to be about to bite him, scared the pants off me!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
victorfirst

Post by victorfirst »

Horses for courses

I have spoken to cattle farmers and some say they would never keep dexters as they can be cross especially round dogs and you cant keep them in.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Most cattle farmers I know know extremely little about Dexters - this does not necessarily stop them having opinions. These opinions are often based on presumptions and rumours not facts.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Duncan MacIntyre wrote:Most cattle farmers I know know extremely little about Dexters - this does not necessarily stop them having opinions. These opinions are often based on presumptions and rumours not facts.

Duncan
Ditto.
davidw

Post by davidw »

Can't agree with you more Duncan. I've been dealing with a Holstein herd over the past year or so. When I first encountered them, they were nervous, agitated and difficult to handle bordering on dangerous. We made a minor modification to the milking parlour and everything has changed. The same cattle are now calm, quiet and easy to deal with.
Last year, some of my Dexters got out and "an experienced stockman" went to try to get them back. The first thing he did was get his piece of blue pipe. Luckily my wife - who has no claims or desire to be a cow-herd - caught him before he could get near to the animals and quickly led them back using only a yellow bucket and a handful of beet nuts.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick