Scottish Dexters, Lanark Mart, 29th August

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Duncan MacIntyre

Scottish Dexters, Lanark Mart, 29th August

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

We are hoping to have some Dexters for sale at the Lanark Rare and Traditional Breeds sale on 29th August. Entries close on 11th August. It would be good to get a start on having some for sale by auction north of the border, so any entries welcome.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Mkay

Re: Scottish Dexters, Lanark Mart, 29th August

Post by Mkay »

I could manage that one, just, with my two Heifers.

Are you hoping to build up its name for Dexter entry's or does it already have decent trade?
I know Dingwall is not an ideal place for selling Dexters so I had planned on the north England sales.
Duncan MacIntyre

With the Scottish Dexter Group membership standing at over 50, and some herds who are not members, we are hoping to get some sort of regular sale started in Scotland. We tried last year but the sales tried were very close if not the same day as the Carlisle sale which we did not want to clash with. This is a good bit earlier. Where are you situated Mkay?

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Mkay

Post by Mkay »

Caithness
Mkay

Post by Mkay »

Although, I hope they accept late entries as it would be Tuesday before mine goes in.
Duncan MacIntyre

Not the best day ever at Lanark yesterday, only 2 out of 5 lots sold. We were situated on the very edge of the event, not mentioned in Auctioneers pre sale advert whereas every sheep breed present was named, sold in pens with no proper announcement in the venue that sale of cattle was to take place and where. I was not impressed with the Auctioneers' arrangements, and told them so. They did, however, seem to be listening and there may be some discussions on whether or not to make changes and try again next year. In many ways the date is suitable, and being in with other minority and rare breeds also suits. No doubt the Scottish Dexter Group committee will have some discussion on this shortly.

We will have a presence at the Scottish Smallholders Event there next month.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
domsmith

Post by domsmith »

I have been to that sale for the previous 9 years and never seen cattle sell Duncan. i would cut your losses and not get involved with it. The main stay of the sale is buyers looking for cheap stock for killing or their flocks. Many of the farmers that go there have cottoned on to the fact that many of the sheep are cheap and a good way to make up numbers.
There are a tremendous amount of day trippers out for a day out and a nosey. Also some real unpleasant people tend to be there. i dont think the auctioneers take it seriously its a novelty event that i dont think makes them a lot of money but gives them plenty of headaches.

Sorry to be negative

dominic