Outdoor Suckler Herd Feed Query

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Rhamil24

Outdoor Suckler Herd Feed Query

Post by Rhamil24 »

I wonder if someone could possibly guide me on where (near Banbury) I can find suitable feed rolls (not nuts) for my out wintered Dexter sucklers.Ideally in 25kg bags. I want to try and keep the milk on the cows now that grass feed value is low.

Previous supplier has only nuts available at the moment and these are no good for non-trough feeding on grass.

Many thanks to anyone that might be able to point me in the right direction.

Roddy
Saffy

Re: Outdoor Suckler Herd Feed Query

Post by Saffy »

Hello Roddy,

I feed my Dexters a few suckler rolls from Mole Valley to prevent Magnesium Deficiency and as I have heard of a few cases in other suckler herds this season, one of which was found dead, I am glad I am doing it!

There isn't an outlet near you but I've found the company very helpful, a rep drops mine off that lives locally, or if someone is having a big load of something they will get drop my few bags at a nearby farm. It is well worth contacting them and asking if they can help you.

I notice that their Calne Feed Mill is not too far from you, so they may be able to drop them there for you, if they cannot get them closer. This link shows where their depots are.

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/in ... 8EBAC3B2B4

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

I have no idea about concentrates as we don't use them but I'd recommend the Glenside group seaweed meal as a mineral supplement (along with rocksalt to ensure they're not consuming it just for the salt). They also do a molassed feed bucket for supplementing low sugar forage that are high-mag - very convenient out at grass. Ascott do them in singles, with free delivery on orders over £75, or you may be able to get them by the pallet for less. Dairy Direct do the meal bags, but you do have to buy that in full pallets and I don't think they offer the buckets but might be able to get hold of them as a special order.

This is one area of potential for a lot more collaboration between Dexter breeders to drive down costs by buying in bulk. Of course it's subject to location where a single pallet is to be distributed between herds but there are also cost savings to be made by ordering, say, three pallets for delivery to three different locations.
Rhamil24

Post by Rhamil24 »

Thanks so much Stephanie and Rob. That's a great help and I shall contact Mole Valley tomorrow to see what they can do.

I actually already use Glenside Group Seaquim buckets throughout the time the cattle are outdoors and find it produces very positive results. When they do go inside I use their bagged Seaquim supplement and am delighted with both products. I can get a pallet delivered from Scotland for £24.50 which normally arrives around 2/3 days after order.

Thanks again so very much and quite agree that as a Society we ought to try and look at achieving economies of scale. I'd be happy to store customer orders here briefly if it helped.

Aye

Roddy
Mkay

Post by Mkay »

We used to get grass rolls at £4 for 25kg.

Has anyone used them with cattle?
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

There is a mole valley outlet at Cox & Robinson in Buckingham, probably about half an hour from Banbury maybe less. We buy our beef nuts from there.

Natasha
Rhamil24

Post by Rhamil24 »

Thanks so much to all. Managed to find a supply both through Mole Valley and Countrywide so all sorted and cattle maintaining condition.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Roddy
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Glad to hear that you have got found sources of feed.

Just check the magnesium values on the feed, I couldn't find a Countrywide food with a high enough magnesium content and lost a cow when I first started up, before Mole Valley offered to start delivering to me. Probably not a big worry at this time of year but will be more important next Spring.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

The Seaquim buckets do come in high mag, but I find the regular ones to be more than adequate.
Rhamil24

Post by Rhamil24 »

Thanks again. Great help.

Moving the herd in next week in order to protect pastures for the Spring.

Roddy
davidw

Post by davidw »

Concerning magnesium levels, the level in the forage depends on the mineral availability from the soil. My soil is light and shallow sandy loam and leaches minerals very quickly. An analysis of my grass showed it was deficient in a whole list of minerals and trace elements including magnesium. Can I recommend "The Better Grass System" from Soil Fertility Services at Downham Market? They blended a fertiliser that corrected most of my soil deficiencies in the first year of using it and as they claim, it grows grass that livestock like to eat. My two dozen taste testers definitely prefer silage produced from the ground where I applied the Better Grass fertiliser and it also yielded 50% more than my other fields.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Rhamil24

Post by Rhamil24 »

Thanks so much David - will look into this.

Kindest regards

Roddy