Short legged starter herd

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Penny

Short legged starter herd

Post by Penny »

I have submitted an advert but thought I would mention here where it is easier to explain that due to my travel commitments I am having to downsize further and therefore have identified groups in my herd which could be sold together. One such group would make an ideal starter herd for anyone who is looking to start with Dexters or has a small herd they would like to expand. They consist of 2 older cows, 2 x 4-5 year olds and a heifer. All black and short legged. All the cows are due June/July/Aug.

I always keep both friends and daughters together as much as possible, so this is a good group of mothers, friends and daughters, though they could be split in to 2 groups. They are all used to a lot of social interaction and definitely need to go somewhere where they will be loved. Anyone just starting out will be given support, and they could POSSIBLY be loaned first to make sure that animals and owners suit each other :)
I know this all sounds very pernickety, but over the years I have sold stock to people who however much I advise on care, feed etc, just seem to think that animals can live on fresh air. I do always say that I must be informed if the animals are ever to be sold again, and because of that have taken back stock of mine which have been returned in a horrendous condition.
I also have 3 non-shorts ( 2 are small non-shorts) which could also POSSIBLY go on loan, they have 3 10-12 months steers at foot which could be purchased with them. In calf due in the summer. 5* home essential .For more details I can be contacted on thornhillfarm@btinternet.com ( York) Penny