Insurance headache

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
5471jenny

Insurance headache

Post by 5471jenny »

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on insurance for cattle Id like to show? Does anyone have a recommended insurer? I'm not 100 percent sure what I need if I'm honest! At the moment they're covered with our angus herd but I'd like to put them under their own policy as its only the dexters we would like to show and just so there could be no discrepancy if God forbid something did happen to them or someone! Many thanks, Jenny
sheila sykes

Re: Insurance headache

Post by sheila sykes »

Have you tried national farmers union
and if you have public liability on your insurance you should be covered
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

As Sheila says NFU - should be good and your public liability should cover you....always best to check though!

The FUW have been more helpful to me than NFU as far as slightly unusual requests with putting a bull in isolation somewhere else for a time etc. The NFU said they couldn't help me and he had to have insurance to go to be collected for AI, I had always insured everything with the NFU, I was getting desperate to insure him. FUW charged me a lot less than NFU for all my insurances and you neither have to be Welsh or live in Wales, I know this as they are happy to insure an English friend of mine, so they are worth a try. I used Abergavenny FUW. I have a contact if anyone wants to try them for a quote.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
5471jenny

Post by 5471jenny »

Thank you for your answers! Nfu were who I tried to start with, they weren't too keen to help because I've only got 6 animals they said they needed to charge me a lot as there's a minimum policy charge. I will be definately having a chat with your recommendation Stephanie and finding out for definate what I'm covered for at the moment
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Jenny I will send details by PM.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

certainly shop around, had my 4x4 insured with NFU for a couple of years, they wanted over £600 with business use 2 years ago, now with saga, renewal due next week at £175
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Crikey Steve, that is a difference just on a vehicle! :) The difference on all my insurances was a smidgen under £1000, worth swapping for.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

hiya could you pm the details please thanx, might be a saving for me thanx jean
j.nuttall
ann

Post by ann »

I had to move my insurance for my X trail from saga as they would no longer insure my trailer on or of my vehicle and as its quite valuable I certainly wanted it cover. I can't remember exactly how much I pay for the two but its no where near what steve is quoting.
So if you do tow a trailor its worth checking its covered with your insurance.
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

We are currently insured on a joint policy for our Shogun and Ifor Williams cattle trailer with Rural Insurance . The policy is due for renewal mid February and last years premium was £483. Thanks to this discussion, I have shopped around and have got separate quotes as follows;
Shogun quote with Saga £238
Ifor Williams with Trailerinsurance.co.uk £105

Both policies include legal protection and insurance tax, (Shogun fully comp) a saving of £140 on last years price.

Mark S
Brereton Dexters
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

We are currently insured on a joint policy for our Shogun and Ifor Williams cattle trailer with Rural Insurance . The policy is due for renewal mid February and last years premium was £483. Thanks to this discussion, I have shopped around and have got separate quotes as follows;
Shogun quote with Saga £238
Ifor Williams with Trailerinsurance.co.uk £105

Both policies include legal protection and insurance tax, (Shogun fully comp) a saving of £140 on last years price.

Mark S
Brereton Dexters
ann

Post by ann »

I shall wait and see what mine comes in when its up for renewal and then try sage and trailer insurance to see if they can beat it. Thanks for the info :) you can't beat shared info :)
davidw

Post by davidw »

I switched to a company called Greenlands Insurance Services in Aberystwyth and saved more than 50% when compared with the NFU. They do a special policy for small-holders and I've found them to be very responsive and keen to help.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick