Dna genotying and other tests

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
JamsHundred

Dna genotying and other tests

Post by JamsHundred »

I have in the past asked owners of historical semen straws (used) that might be held in their breeding records to consider sending them to me for DNA genotyping, and a private email from a breeder prompts this post. Let me add that I enter these into the system with Legacy and the name of the person who sends them to me and the results are shared.

A genotype is primarily used for permanemt identification and for parentage comparison......BUT...if there is enough residue in the straw to extract sufficient DNA, these straws can offer other information because EVERY available test can be done as long as there is sample. With the color research, being able to see if an ancestor animal carries red or dun is a treasure trove.

Legacy began DNA genotyping in the US over a decade ago, setting up the first Dexter Cattle Genotype database in the US, using the world-renowned Veterinary Genetics Laboratory, teaching arm for animal science of the University of California. UCD-VGL developed DNA testing in cattle in the
1950s. Legacy then added A2 testing, PHA, chondro, and then came the polled test and other beta casein tests available at the same lab, including reduced testing prices for multiple tests.

Legacy also introduced Dexter breeders worldwide to the services of UCD and in 2013 came up with the idea of contract affiliated testing and worked with UCD-VGL to implement the system,

World-wide owners can avail themselves of UCD-VGL services at very affordable prices, especially when the exchange rate favors foreign currency. UCD-VGL reports 16 loci and types which includes the 13 marker ISAG panel requirement, All the Dexter tests, including both Chondro types, are tested from tail hair samples. To order tests you fill in the information on your Dexter, and a testform is generated and once the fees are paid, it is emailed to you immediately. You attach the tail hairs, print out a seperate import form included in the mailing and mail to the lab. Once your sample arrives, you can expect email results in 5-7 business days. UCD will also forward your results if needed direct from the lab to your registry. How simple does it get?

You can set up an affiliated account at UCD for the contract pricing which differs only slightly ( put "legacy" in the affiliation box) or a non-contract non-affiliated account. A DNA genotype is $25 US, the A2 is $20, and you can batch PHA, chondro red, dun,$20 seperately and.or polled, $25 seperately for $20 for the first test and $10 for the others, the batch price applies only to tests ordered at the same time from one sample.

Dexter owners around the world are using UCD-VGL because it is inexpensive, expedient, and YOU can control and own your results with your direct NC account. The samples are archived in your ownership and are stored into "forever" thus available for future tests we have not even developed or science yet researched!

Reminder: if you send me straws, used straws, or samples, they are tested through Legacy and with your name and you are given the results as well.

Please ask your "old-timer" Dexter friends who may have straws from ancestor AI bulls if they would dig them out of their old records and contact me. Sharethelegacy@aol.com