Best treat

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
jem

Best treat

Post by jem »

I have recently bought 2 heifers who are in a field on their own. They are a very skittish and run away wildly whenever they see me! I have been trying to give them a bit of bucket feed to try and get them used to me coming and going and to associate me with good things, but there is so much good grass available they are not particularly bothered about the grass nuts I am giving. What would be a sure-fire irresistible treat for them at this time of year?
Saffy

Re: Best treat

Post by Saffy »

Difficult..you may need to experiment, I find different cows like different things and it depends what they have been brought up on as well!!!

I would try chopping an apple up and see if they like it but it can have the opposite effect if they have never tasted apple, some of mine love them. If they have ever been fed calf feed like a coarse ration a coarse calf ration would probably be the answer for the memory, smell and taste.

Stephanie

P.S. Could you fence off a smaller area, so that they haven't got quite so much lovely grass? Do you have an electric fence you could portion off an area with, maybe that would help the situation? I have even strip grazed when there has been way too much grass... or worse too much clover!!!
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
nuttalls

Post by nuttalls »

try bread just a slice each or put a quiet cow in they soon come too,gud luck jean :) :? :)
j.nuttall
jem

Post by jem »

I was going to fence off a smaller area with electric tape but wanted them to settle a little bit first else I think they will just go straight through it. Unfortunately, I do not have any other older cows to put in with them.

I will try both of your food suggestions though and see how we go. Is dry bread safe for cows (i.e. no possibility of choke)?

Do you know if a horse coarse mix would be safe for cows? They tend to have molasses and a variety of grains and beans etc so may be tastier?
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

It isn't usually a good idea to feed anything meant for another type of animal as sometimes the "wrong" food can be harmful. Also calf coarse mix has similar nice tasty stuff in it...to tempt your girlies. I am near Abergavenny in Monmouthshire, if you are anywhere near, or are passing I can give you a bit to try....I get mine from Countrywide. Bread should be safe but don't give big chunks, break into "bite" size pieces for them, a half inch to an inch square.

Let us know how it goes!

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
jem

Post by jem »

Thanks Saffy. I'm nowhere near you unfortunately but I do have a Countrywide store fairly close so could buy some calf coarse mix. These girls are actually 2 years old though(!), so will feeding a bit of calf mix be OK if it's only half a kilo or so between them?
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

Feeding calf mix will be fine ...a very small amount as a treat - just enough for a taste and to get them to come to you, and to eat the bag full before it goes off!

Lets hope they like it. My cows would love it.....

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
davidw

Post by davidw »

I know that they are an extravagance but Spillers Meadow Herb horse treats are a real favourite with my cattle. If I have a few in my pocket, they can smell them from quite a distance and come over to get them. I find they are useful when halter training to encourage the animal to walk by holding one in front of its nose.
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I would also suggest just sitting still and reading a book, so they can come up and sniff/taste the treat with you in the vicinity but not making any movement. Hopefully that way they'll begin to realise you are not scary but associated with treats.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham