DCS AGM postponed

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Jac

Re: DCS AGM postponed

Post by Jac »

Pennielea wrote:Amazing that this subject has had so little interest or are we frightened of how we will be dealt with?

Two letters from Council with no reason or proper explanation given for cancellation.

The Directors Report and Accounts for 2015 are published on Companies House website if anyone is interested. They should of course have been sent to members first. There have been several opportunities to include in a mailing as they were approved on 6th July.

Point of interest is the amount spent on legal fees for no apparent result and the profit made on linear classification.

Ian
Perhaps people are refraining from posting in respect to Mark who runs this site as clearly it was putting him in a difficult position as site owner and also as a Trustee.

The ability to register cattle for most I would think is the main reason for belonging to the Society in the first place. Not intended as a criticism just :( that many members don't seem to take too much of an interest in how the Society is governed.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

It's not necessarily lack of interest. Sometimes people just have other priorities.
Our son was taken very, very seriously ill in January in a coma and then hospital for 13 weeks. My wife and I moved to Southampton. She came back at the end of January and I came back with my son at the end of August. He's gone from being a super fit 26yr old to learning to walk and talk again.
I am now his principal carer, trying to run a business and a small holding. We are over stocked and I need to reduce the numbers but don't have time to deal with it.
Are the politics inside and outside the DCS of importance to me right now? What do you think!
Not that I am about to criticise those who live and breath said ins and outs - it's simply a matter of hours in the day and priorities.
Tim
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Tim Watson wrote:It's not necessarily lack of interest. Sometimes people just have other priorities.
Our son was taken very, very seriously ill in January in a coma and then hospital for 13 weeks. My wife and I moved to Southampton. She came back at the end of January and I came back with my son at the end of August. He's gone from being a super fit 26yr old to learning to walk and talk again.
I am now his principal carer, trying to run a business and a small holding. We are over stocked and I need to reduce the numbers but don't have time to deal with it.
Are the politics inside and outside the DCS of importance to me right now? What do you think!
Not that I am about to criticise those who live and breath said ins and outs - it's simply a matter of hours in the day and priorities.
Indeed, breed societies tend to be all the same anyway, utterly terrible at promoting the breed and full of politics but performing the most important function of registering stock adequately so most people are happy not to be involved in the cat herding.

Sorry to hear about your son Tim. You're right, in recent times just keeping a smallholding going is enough pressure without all else that life throws at us.
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

[quote=

The Directors Report and Accounts for 2015 are published on Companies House website if anyone is interested. They should of course have been sent to members first. There have been several opportunities to include in a mailing as they were approved on 6th July.

I have now received a copy of the Directors Report and accounts together with the AGM papers.
Incredible as it may seem there are differences between the copy which I have and the one that Companies House publish on their website. As it is a legal document there should be no differences.

Interesting sideline to this:- The website lists Dexter Cattle Society
Nature of Business-Raising of Dairy Cattle
Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

Are we there again?
21 day deadline has passed for receipt of AGM papers therefore legality of business is no longer valid.
I have already booked flights and hotels, will my expenditure be validated or refunded?
Last year Di could not offer an opinion as she was not a Council member, this year she is, so has she any comment to make on this failure of governance

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

There is little sign of the Council wishing to be any more open and communciative with the membership. Communication now is easier than it has ever been, so many ways to get news to people, and so little coming from DCS to the membership or the public. I am trying to coordinate a visit by 15 or more foreign Dexter breeders with a Linear Classification session, gave DCS the proposed date mid August, not heard a dicky bird. Nothing seems to change.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
moomin

Post by moomin »

Ian,
I have received mine in time. We both have surnames beginning with S so you should have received yours. Maybe it is your postal service?
I know it was posted last minute as Mike Frazer, chair of council, wanted things changed at last minute, to be precise at 1.17 p.m. on 21st.
As all was ready for posting in envelopes he decided it might be a little late so asked the secretary to put a black line through certain items if she had time! Bear in mind the papers were in envelopes by then. Then at 3.45 pm he said to send as it was and we would deal with any repercussions at the AGM. I have copies of all emails confirming this.
As I say I have got mine.
Kind Regards,
Di

Ask Mike Frazer
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

Di
I received some paperwork today. Postmarked 22.09.17 second class so it was already late before it was posted. A confusing proxy form or is it a voting paper? I do not want to appoint a proxy so is my vote for new Council members going to be accepted at the AGM?
Apparently at the previous AGM in January votes on the day were not valid.
There is no Director's report or Annual Accounts enclosed in hard copy which is a legal requirement unless I have been asked and agreed to read by electronic means. The documents state that these reports are available to read on the Society website but they are not there, perhaps you can tell me when they will be posted? Until they are the AGM papers have not been served to the members.
I addressed my query to you as you had previously commented on the issue and you are the only Council member who comments on this discussion site. Attempting to blame other persons for the problems is pointless as all Council members are jointly and severally responsible for governance of our Society
As a Council, you have all been aware of the deadline date for the AGM since January or shortly after and you have failed to meet that deadline.
Your posting states 'I have received mine on time' unless you have received a priveleged version then you have not received the correct notification of the AGM

Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Duncan MacIntyre

I have still not received any papers. Normally there is no delay in post between here and Stoneleigh or between Stoneleigh and here.

Di's post I find very very disturbing, as it contains a great deal of inaccuracy and is clearly an attempt to undermine Council and its chairman. As usual the lack of information being given to the membership even though the minutes are allegedly on the website means that it is very difficult for members to know the truth about anything. I think that every effort should be made by our council to put the most up to date minutes of council on the website well before the AGM to allow those members using proxy votes to do so in the light of the truth and not what is peddled by those controlling our information. Our society is in dire danger and with it our breed. I would appeal to all council members to cast aside personal loyalties and get on with the job in an open and honest fashion. That is what you have all been entrusted to do. What is happening is a total and utter disgrace, and those who are thwarting efforts to run our society correctly, openly and honestly should be deeply ashamed. Dirty linen will come out.

I am disgusted.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Duncan MacIntyre

Well I got my papers, or such papers as are available, for the AGM yesterday lunch time. Post mark 22nd, 2nd class - so it was not posted until the day it should have arrived. Perhaps Di could offer some explanation on the timing and on the lack of financial report, since she seems to have time on hand to post us pearls of wisdom in other posts. A bit of open honesty here would do a lot more good than diversionary posting on other threads. Lets live the sermon Di.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
monica a waltho

Post by monica a waltho »

?
Last edited by monica a waltho on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Monica Waltho (01536)
(see Smallwood Dexters on facebook)
Staffordshire
Jac

Post by Jac »

Pennielea wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:29 pm Are we there again?
21 day deadline has passed for receipt of AGM papers therefore legality of business is no longer valid.
I have already booked flights and hotels, will my expenditure be validated or refunded?
Last year Di could not offer an opinion as she was not a Council member, this year she is, so has she any comment to make on this failure of governance

Ian
Having read this post under the heading 'DCS AGM postponed' can anyone tell me whether it has been postponed or is going to be? I have quite purposefully distanced myself from the 'goings on' as ignorance is bliss. I am once again deeply disturbed I was hoping we had put everything behind us.
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

The DCS agm is not postponed and will still take place on Sat 14th Oct 2017 at the Royal Bath and West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset.
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Pennielea

Post by Pennielea »

Mark
There may be a General meeting on the 14th Oct but it will not conduct the business of an AGM. You,the Directors, are legally required to present the Directors report and Financial statements to the members for approval at that meeting and publication to the members must be madeavailable 21 days before the meeting.
Since the creation of the Society those documents have been presented to the members in written format (Hard copy) on some occasions late. This year we have the ludicrous situation that those documents are promised to be available on line on the Society website. But they are not there and an enquiry to the Society office confirms that they are not. Now we have a suggestion that the
Society website is not under control of our Society but is registered to a private individual!
How can we possibly approve Resolution 2 when we have not even seen or heard the Financial statements or resolution 3 when no accountant is named for appointment.
If we have enough members who are naieve enough to approve this illegal behaviour then I wish you luck, but survival of the Dexter Breed will depend on orgaanisations elsewhere
Ian
Joan and Ian Simpson
Pennielea Farm
Glenavy
Co Antrim
Jac

Post by Jac »

I suppose the membership will be paying for a solicitor to be present again at the AGM/General Meeting (call it what you will)?