Close the discussion board?

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Close the discussion board?

Post by Mark Bowles »

I am now at a stage where I am seriously thinking of closing this board, it seems to have been hijacked over the last few years by people wishing to score political points against the society. Ordinary members with cattle questions and points to raise seem very few and far between which was the original purpose of the board, I know the format is a little old fashioned in these days of facebook and twitter so is there really a place for it.
I am really not sure!!
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
Rob R

Re: Close the discussion board?

Post by Rob R »

It would be a backwards step IMO. The society may have embraced Facebook but the page is crap - it's a list of shows with no engaging content, even about shows, and no discussion. There are some great uses for Dexters that need showcasing and whilst this may not be the place to do it, it remains the only place we've got to discuss Dexters and for that it is invaluable. The beauty of facebook is that the content sparks debate but without at least one person at the rudder it is just a ghost ship that noone wants to visit. Unless the society provides somewhere for the membership to discuss internal matters then they'll just find other, more public places.

You shouldn't have to host this board but I'm glad that you do.
bjreroberts

Post by bjreroberts »

I hope you don't feel the need to close it. I look at it nearly every day and have found it very useful to be able to search past posts first if I have queries about anything.

I think there have been fewer postings over the last year which probably makes it appear more political. Perhaps consider a ban on "DCS politics" topics rather than close it?

Certainly DCS Facebook page does not provide the same type of functionality, I consider it more of a "news feed".
Ben Roberts
Trehawben Herd
Bromsgrove
Jac

Post by Jac »

bjreroberts wrote:
Perhaps consider a ban on "DCS politics" topics rather than close it?
We can really have a shut down on information flows then can't we? I don't think that most people go on the site to deliberately have a dig at Council although it may appear that way to some. Were you aware that the paperwork for the AGM was not forthcoming or is it something that doesn't interest you?
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

I would think this is just ..." a small bump in the very looong road" for the discussion board Mark. After all its been going a long time!

Maybe it seems more pronounced as other things are being discussed less? I haven't posted pics recently as they won't go on....they used to go on straight from Photobucket and won't seem to do that now without being cut in half. If anyone remembers my 10 step plan to post a pic and knows how to do it now. Could they open a - How to post a pic thread please??? Perhaps that would start a flood of new photographs and other threads?

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
natmadaboutdexters

Post by natmadaboutdexters »

Personally, although i read the 'political' or council bashing posts I dont really pay much attention.

This board is invalueable to new members and owners who sometimes just need a word or reassurance or advice on keeping/showing their Dexters. Please keep it going Mark!

We are all here for the good of the breed and to support each other, not to battle against ourselves.

Natasha
LISA

Post by LISA »

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE the discussion board (and tend to have a nosey on it most days).

Very grateful for your service and provision of it Mark (and your family)

Best Wishes

Lisa Bell
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

I think closing this site would be a great loss not just to people looking for information on dexters but as a focal for fellow Dexter owners.

i have found it to be a great resource for all things Dexter.

The Facebook page on the other hand seems to be a list of shows punctuated by photos of anything but dexters which is a real shame and a wasted opportunity to show case dexters to the public and potential buyers.

If you do decide to call it a day Mark I hope you can find another moderator to take over from you rather than consign this site to history.
ann

Post by ann »

Hi Mark, I'm sorry you feel that the discussion board has been hijacked and it must be annoying but please don't close the board, i always tell new owners about it and it is such a wonderful source of information and a great way to keep in touch with other members, many whom we may never meet in real life, but feel they are friends via their posts. I guess sometimes it gets used when people feel the need to let of steam, which is unfortunate as this is open to anyone to look at. Its a shame that apart from the AGM's there does not seem to be any other way for some people to express their frustrations and I personally hate those kind of AGM's. As this is your site, please just delete any posts you are not happy with, but don't close the board and thanks once again for providing this great source of communication
Jac

Post by Jac »

Ann Wrote: As this is your site, please just delete any posts you are not happy with, but don't close the board and thanks once again for providing this great source of communication
Ann also wrote: I guess sometimes it gets used when people feel the need to let of steam, which is unfortunate as this is open to anyone to look at. Its a shame that apart from the AGM's there does not seem to be any other way for some people to express their frustrations and I personally hate those kind of AGM's.
Are face to face discussions becoming obsolete? Jems5 pointed out that few want to be involved with area groups. The field advisor's role is now defunct. So from that point of view Mark's site is a good thing and it would be a pity if it did not continue.

Mark has deleted very few posts in the time that it has been running. With so many people being able to contribute it assists in understanding another persons point of view perhaps something that had not occurred to the individual. It is also less intimidating to speak when faced with those who seek to shout and bully so in that respect it is self-policing. I live in hope that everyone involved in the Dexter will eventually see the benefit of open discussion but not on a public site. I think an 'in house' discussion board could work extremely well in conjunction with release of minutes. Giving members an opportunity to discuss various points. In cases of special projects for example, there could be a discussion and then a poll that would save an awful lot of money in cases where the projects were not well supported or others where the majority thought they would be of benefit to the breed in helping them to succeed as a sense of ownership and commitment would be created. No, I would not like to see Mark close the site but certain aspects should not be in the public domain but please, not before there is an alternative.
ann

Post by ann »

I think an 'in house' discussion board could work extremely well in conjunction with release of minutes. Giving members an opportunity to discuss various points. In cases of special projects for example, there could be a discussion and then a poll that would save an awful lot of money in cases where the projects were not well supported or others where the majority thought they would be of benefit to the breed in helping them to succeed as a sense of ownership and commitment would be created
I will certainly second that, it gets harder to get people to contribute to local groups or write letters to the Dex bulletin, and I guess we all find it easier to bash the keyboard if something crops up that we dont agree with. :) :)
Saffy

Post by Saffy »

ann wrote:
I think an 'in house' discussion board could work extremely well in conjunction with release of minutes. Giving members an opportunity to discuss various points. In cases of special projects for example, there could be a discussion and then a poll that would save an awful lot of money in cases where the projects were not well supported or others where the majority thought they would be of benefit to the breed in helping them to succeed as a sense of ownership and commitment would be created
I will certainly second that, it gets harder to get people to contribute to local groups or write letters to the Dex bulletin, and I guess we all find it easier to bash the keyboard if something crops up that we dont agree with. :) :)
Sounds like an excellent idea to me as well....maybe if enough of us think so it will actually happen???.

Stephanie
Stephanie Powell
Duffryn Dexters 32824
Abergavenny
https://www.facebook.com/Duffryn-Dexter ... 609196773/
Boofarm

Post by Boofarm »

It would be a great shame indeed were you to decide to close this board down - as far as I know the only open forum on Dexters.

Cheers
mac
I used to be a farmer but I don't owe anybody anything now - Henry Brewis
Candy

Post by Candy »

Mark,
We need to be able to vent our frustrations somewhere. How many times are we told the AGM is not the place yet this is probably the only time we have the opportunity to express our views so that a wider public will hear us. If you closed down the site we would have nowhere. The bulletin is edited to not contain anything contentious. The minutes of AGM,s are not a true reflection of what went on. You may not like all that is put on here but it is a way of communicating things council sometimes choose to stifle/ignore/fail to Acknowledge. It is not a dig at you or the site but a wish for free speech and the right to express our concerns. Candy
JohnnyP

Post by JohnnyP »

This forum certainly helped me when I became a Dexter owner.

How about adding a variety of topics in the Board Index, one of which could be "DCS Issues", and thus easily avoided by users heading straight for the "Cattle Health" topic?

But I also think that the DCS should have its own forum for members.

BTW I've a cow with mastitis in two quadrants which have not responded to 9 days of injected intramuscular penicillin and topical mammary tubes. It is now one month since I called the vet. Her general demeanour has improved, but udder still hard and swollen. I'm going to speak with my vet again, but he seems out of ideas. She's eating better than she was, but has lost a lot of condition...