Free for all suckling

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
davidw

Free for all suckling

Post by davidw »

I have two young cows, almost identical sisters although one is one year older than the other. Their calves seem to suckle from either one of them and sometimes the older cow will suckle both calves at the same time. One of the cheeky calves has even started to steal milk from a heifer that has isn't due to calve for a week or so. I've not seen this free for all suckling before, is it common?
David Williams
Gaveston Herd
Warwick
Duncan MacIntyre

Re: Free for all suckling

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

I don't think it is common unless cows are trained to multisuckle. Some will just not entertain this at all.

I lost a cow due to eating plastic and twine this year, and when she was ill I realised it was not going well. Her mother who had a new calf at foot came into the area where I was nursing the cow, and I shut them all in together. The calf of the ill cow transferred interest to granny with no effort from me, and granny took on grandson as well as son. Shortly after I transferred granny with son and grandson to a small field with her mother, and over the course of the summer I have often seen great granny suckling the orphan calf as well.

Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Louisa Gidney

Post by Louisa Gidney »

I've had cows whose calves have, as it were, invited a friend for tea and both calves have suckled from one cow.
Zanfara Dexters
Tow Law
Co. Durham
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

we have had a couple of cows who haven't minded a 2nd calf joining in, mormally around this time of year so perhaps as mum is starting to dry up or loose interest the calf looks else where.
Humberdale Dexters (31319)
Holderness
East Yorkshire