Pedigree Info

Welcome to the DexterCattleForSale Discussion Board. This is where all the Topics and Replies are stored, click on the above link to enter!
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Just wondering if anyone knows if the DCS are going to put a pedigree search function on their website?
The ADCA one is great (tho all the data is not in yet) and I understand that the DCAI are going to set something the same up in the 'near' future...
It would be great if breeders could zip around the world and check their pedigrees... and lets face it they all lead back to Britain eventually so it would be wonderfull if DCS was doing it also!

Kathleen.
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Hello Kathleen,
do you mean the sort of thing the "Ped E-view" programme supplied by Grassroots through the DCS? It comes as a disc which you install on your computer and has an update every year, lets you look at the pedigree of animals, lists them by herd, or offspring of individuals, alive or dead, etc. I am not the best person to give it an accurate description - why not contact DCS for details.
Duncan, not wishing to hogg the replies but no one else seems to want to answer this one!!
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Could you explain this a little more please. Is this a CD that has all the British Dexter Pedigrees on? Is it available to us here in the States? I would love to buy a copy as it would be very useful to have. How far back does it go?

Carol K
Duncan MacIntyre

Post by Duncan MacIntyre »

Carol K wrote:Could you explain this a little more please. Is this a CD that has all the British Dexter Pedigrees on? Is it available to us here in the States? I would love to buy a copy as it would be very useful to have. How far back does it go?

Carol K
Sorry Carol,
I don't have full details to hand but why not contact Dexter Cattle Society office and find out? I can't remember Grassroots address and don't know if it will run on your computers. I am often answering these posts in a bit of a hurry and from two different locations so don't always have the info to hand that I have at home.
Duncan
Duncan MacIntyre
Burnside Dexters 00316
Burnside
Ascog
Isle of Bute
Mark Bowles
Site Admin

Post by Mark Bowles »

Ped e View info
Grassroots SystemsLtd,36 Ide Lane,Alphington, Exeter, England.EX2 8UT
email; PedEView@Grassroots.co.uk
If you contact them they may send you a demo CD sample of the system free, but dont quote that.
It has all the DCS British pedigrees on it, my copy wont work due to loosing the password on a computer update ( thanks Chris!!!!) but it goes back a good few generations.
The data is sent out as an update each year by the DCS, which you have to pay for, its not too expensive.
Mark
Mark Bowles
Linford Dexters
Webmaster
andy

Post by andy »

Hi Carol.

The "ped e view" is a database of British Dexters. Regarding how far it goes back is dependant on the bloodline that you are looking at. Some go back further than others - maybe in time all will be entered on it but it is a very time consuming effort entering back info. The database is updated once a year from the main societies computer. To run the database you require a copy of the main "Grassroots Ped e view" software and then a copy of the database from the DCS.
Have a look at http://www.grassroots.co.uk and follow the link to Ped e View for the software. The database from the DCS is £10.00 plus tax.

Andy
Carol K

Post by Carol K »

Thanks to everyone for the links, I have e mailed them and asked if it would work over here in the USA,

Carol K